DAYTON OFFICE
                                                                                         34 LAKES BLVD.
                                                                                         DAYT ON, NEVADA 89403
                                                                                         (775) 246-6135
                                     LYON COUNTY                                         FAX : (775) 246-6137

                                                                                         YERINGTON OFFICE

                          BUILDING DEPARTMENT                                            2 7 S O UT H M AI N ST R E ET
                                                                                         YERINGTON, NEVADA 89447
                                                                                         (775) 463-6591
                               NICK MALARCHIK, BUILD ING DEPT. DIR EC TO R               FAX : (775) 463-6596

                          GENERAL INFORMATION
This information is provided to aid in preparing applications to obtain required building permits on
residential lots in unincorporated Lyon County. Please review this information and the application
carefully. Due to office space limitations incomplete applications cannot be accepted and held while
missing information is gathered. Incomplete applications inadvertently accepted may be returned. A
deposit to cover plan review costs will be required with the permit application.

Generally, all new construction, repair or remodeling of buildings or structures on residential lots will
require permits from the Building Dept. Exceptions include fences (call for height limitations) and a
detached accessory structure less than 120 SF. All structures must comply with the current (2006)
building codes (including energy conservation) adopted by Lyon County. Amendments to the published
codes are as cited in County Code Title 10, Chapter 7.

A residence must be the first building permitted, constructed and approved for occupancy. Electric
service to the lot must be associated with a building permit.

Under Nevada law you may apply as an Owner/Builder in certain circumstances. Appropriate affidavits
must be signed which acknowledge the requirements of an Owner/Builder permit. Plans submitted must
indicate Owner/Builder and be signed and dated. You must then occupy the building for at least one year
after final approval. (An O/B cannot construct a duplex.)

No application can be accepted unless provisions for water/sewer services are addressed. Appropriate
“will serve” letters from the utility district, well driller’s contract, septic application with perc test data or
evidence of existing utilities are required. Sewer/water facilities must be on the same lot as the building
being served. State law establishes minimum lot sizes which may use a septic system (an additional
reserve leach area is required). Single-family residences cannot “share” a domestic water well.

Lots in FEMA designated flood hazard areas require a “Floodplain Development Permit” from the
Planning Dept. You must furnish an elevation certificate, on the prescribed form, establishing the design
and then verifying that the actual built lowest floor components are elevated above flood levels per Lyon
County Title 12 & 2006 IBC. In some areas the certificate must be prepared by a licensed engineer or

Properties accessing county roads or state highways must furnish a copy of the appropriate access permit
from the County Road Dept. or NDOT.

Site preparation involving mass grading of the lot (beyond excavation for building and utility lines) will
either require a grading permit (currently issued by the Planning Dept) or may be included in the
building permit. In either case site plans prepared by a licensed NV civil engineer will be required for
review by the County Engineer for compliance with county drainage requirements.

Each application must contain two complete sets of drawings and calculations as described in the
application forms. Although “Architect” quality is not required, the drawings must be neatly drawn
(straight lines, true angles, etc), fully dimensioned in proportional scale, and contain sufficient detail that
would enable a competent person to build exactly what you want, where you want it. We will not accept
“free-hand” sketches or the like. We cannot accept plans prepared by out-of-state vendors/designers
unless stamped by professional designers licensed in Nevada. All structural engineering including
required truss sheets must contain the “wet-seal” stamp of the engineer. All plans must be prepared by
NV licensed designers, licensed contractors for their own scope of work, or an owner/builder. Each
drawing must indicate the preparer with original stamps, license numbers and signatures. Documents
submitted for building permits are not regarded as in the public domain. Copies may only be obtained
with written authorization of the preparer.

Taxes on new dwelling construction and lot development have been adopted for roads, parks and schools.
These taxes could typically amount to $3400.00 and are in addition to building permit fees.

EXAMPLES:         1600 SF house w/ 400 SF attached garage:

                       Building Permit & Plan Review Fee………………$1,650
                              Park Tax …………………………………... 1,000
                              Road Tax…………………………………... 800
                              School Tax…………………………………. 1,600

                       Estimated Permit Fee/Taxes………………………..$5,050**

                 480 SF detached garage, Building Permit & Plan Review…$ 270.00
                                      (No taxes for accessory buildings)

** Does not include utility connection fees, grading permit or road access permits.


To top