FEDERAL MAGISTRATES COURT
Position Description Package
APS LEVEL 5
$66,325 - $70,330 plus superannuation
ONGOING – FULL TIME
POSITION NUMBER: 6190
Notified in the APS Employment Gazette : Thursday, 6 September 2012
Closing date for applications: Thursday, 20 September 2012
Once you have read the information about the duties of this position, please
contact Gary Hartop on (02) 9377 5622 if you have any questions.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please include with your application:
A covering letter
A comprehensive statement of claims against the selection criteria - Please
note selection may be based on application only.
An up to date resume detailing your skills and work history
Certified copies of relevant qualifications
Please Note: Receipt of email applications will be acknowledged, however mailed or faxed applications will not.
Please submit your application to:
Postal Address: Human Resources
FMC Corporate Services Provider
GPO Box 9991
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Fax: (02) 6243 5680
Please Note: Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted without prior approval.
Please advise in writing or email if you decide to withdraw from the selection process.
‘One APS Career… Thousands of Opportunities’
Federal Magistrates Court of Australia
Associate - APS 5
The Associate is part of a team assisting a Federal Magistrate in the day to day
management of Chambers and Court. The role of the Associate is to manage
chambers and to supervise the Deputy Associate.
Key responsibilities and duties
1. Day-to-day running of chambers including responding to enquiries.
2. Supervise the work of the deputy associate.
3. Assist the Federal Magistrate to manage the docket by preparing and
managing matters waiting for hearing.
4. Ensure the court’s case management system is up-to-date and assist the
Federal Magistrate in the preparation of orders and typing of judgments.
5. Maintain court related relationships with various external stakeholders.
6. Contribute to organisational forums working for better working practices.
7. Undertake legal research as required by the Federal Magistrate.
8. Other duties as required.
1. Legal qualifications essential
2. Demonstrated ability to undertake legal research.
3. Strong communication (oral and written) and liaison skills and the ability to
communicate with people of all levels
4. Demonstrated high-level keyboard skills and ability to use relevant
software applications including Microsoft Office applications, Lotus Notes
5. The ability to adapt to changing situations and priorities.
6. Tolerance, diligence and the ability to work as a member of a small team.
7. A high standard of ethical behaviour.
8. An understanding of the Australian Public Service (APS) Values and a
commitment to abide by the APS Code of Conduct. The ability to comply
with principles of workplace diversity and occupational health and safety.