Irish Congress of Trade Unions
Promote co-operation employers and workers,
and to spread the message that consultation
is not only a legal requirement but can be
used to positive advantage by site managers
to encourage employee involvement in safe
• Facilitators possessed hand on experience
dealing with construction hazards
• Come from both Union and employer
• Credibility with construction workers.
• Site Visits
• Tool box talks
• Explain election process.
• Conduct Elections.
• Arrange Training of selected Reps
• Ongoing support and Mentoring of Safety
Reps. ( further education career development)
S.R.F.P. DATA BASE
• Due to the efforts of the Project there
are now more Trained Safety Reps in
the construction industry than any other
sector in Irish Industry.
• We keep details of more 1800
• Invaluable tool to keep contact.
• The slow down in the industry
might mean an end to the
progress that we have been
• We need to keep our infrastructure
intact for the turnaround
An industry in shock
• Only the prestige projects are
working at full staffing
• Most sites are working with much
• Workers very uncertain of future
A project cut to the
• Our project responded to the crises by
cutting back expenditure by 25%
• the small amount of funding needed for
next year will be a test of our
commitment to the safety of building
• Safety representatives are being
retained in employment
• Enthusiasm for the project
• Refresher course for those trained
more than three years is popular
We have transformed our industry
• The industry had shed its poor safety image
• Safe Pass was delivered to the entire industry
• Construction skills training program have
• Safety representatives `became mandatory
and 1,800 have been trained.
• International research suggests our approach
What have we learned ?
• This project ensured that the industry came to
regard the safety rep not as a compliance
burden but as an opportunity .
• In order for the safety rep system to work the
state must be seen to be supportive.
• The workers cannot and will not do it on their