Biology EOC Review
Goal 5: The learner will develop an understanding of the ecological relationships among organisms
5.01: Investigate and analyze the interrelationships among organisms, populations, communities, and ecosystems
Relationship Definition Example
2. Explain a predator prey relationship; also predict what will happen to a population that starts with a large amount of prey
and a smaller amount of predators.
3. What is field ecology and what are some techniques that are used which doing field studies?
4. Compare and contrast abiotic and biotic factors.
5. How do abiotic and biotic factors influence the
6. How do limiting factors such as food availability,
competition, and harsh seasons influence carrying
7. Draw the exponential growth graph and explain it.
8. The graph to the right shows logistic growth. Explain it.
5.02: analyze the flow of energy and the cycling of matter in the
1. Explain the relationship of the carbon cycle to
photosynthesis and respiration.
2. What is a food chain give an example?
3. What is a food web; how does it differ from a food chain?
4. What is a energy pyramid and in which direction does energy flow and what is the efficiency of energy transfer?
5. Create an energy pyramid from the food chain: leavesinsectsbirdsredfoxbear
6. Where is the most energy in this pyramid? Where is the least energy?
7. What happens to energy as it moves through the food chain/web?
8. Assume there are 10,000 kcal of energy in the leaves? Estimate the amount of energy in each of the other levels of the
9. What happens to matter as it moves through the food chain/web?
10. What is the ultimate source of energy for this food web?
11. What are the producers in this food web?
12. What are the primary consumers (herbivores) in this food web?
13. What are the secondary consumers in this food web?
14. What are the highest level consumers in this food web?
5.03 Assess human population and its impact on local ecosystems and global environments
1. Explain human population graphs- both historical and potential using graph to the right.
2. What are factors influencing birth and death rates of humans?
3. What are the effects of population size, density and resource use on the environment?
4. How do changes in human populations affect populations of other organisms?
5. What are some human impacts on our local ecosystem?
6. Explain how the greenhouse effect impacts our climate.
7. Also explain how some natural processes can affect our climate i.e. volcanoes.
8. How does deforestation affect natural resources?
9. How does pesticide use affect natural resources?
10. What is bioaccumulation research and what is its purpose?
11. Explain sustainable practices and stewardship.
12. In Mexico, what percentage of the population is between 0-4 years of age?
In the US?
Which population is growing the fastest?
Which age group has the smallest number in both countries