Australian Government by EZSsWy


									Australian Government
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

Information for families using child care:
Fact Sheet 16
Will my child be given priority for child care services?
We understand that getting your child into quality child care is an important priority. Sometimes,
there may be a waiting list for child care services and to ensure the system is fair, the Australian
Government has ‘Priority of Access Guidelines’.

What are the Priority of Access Guidelines?
The guidelines only apply to Child Care Benefit approved child care. They are used when there is
a waiting list for a child care service or when a number of parents are applying for a limited
number of vacant places.
Every Child Care Benefit approved child care service has to abide by the guidelines and tell you
about them when you enrol your child into care.

Priority 1—a child at risk of serious abuse or neglect.
Priority 2—a child of a parent (or both parents if you have a partner) who satisfies the
Government’s work, training, study test (for the purposes of the priority of access guidelines)*.
Priority 3—any other child.
Within these main categories priority should also be given to:

      children in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families

      children in families which include a disabled person

      children in families which include an individual whose adjusted taxable income does not
       exceed the lower income threshold of $41 026 for 2012-2013, or who or whose partner is
       on income support

      children in families from a non-English speaking background

      children in socially isolated families

      children of single parents.
*Note: To satisfy the work, training, study test for the purposes of the priority of access guidelines,
both you and your partner (if you have one) must have work, training or study-related activities at
some time during the week or have an exemption. No minimum number of hours is required. More
information is available in Fact Sheet 7—What is the work, training, study test?

A child care service may require a Priority 3 child to vacate a place to make room for a child with a
higher priority. They can only do so if you:

          are notified when your child first entered care that your service follows this policy
          are given at least 14 days notice of the need for your child to vacate.
Outside School Hours Care
Outside School Hours Care is primarily for school children. A service may ask a child not yet in
school to leave care if a child who is in school applies for a place.
       Employer sponsored places
       If a child care service is funded by an employer for their employees’ children it can give priority to
       those children.

       How can I get more information?
       For further information about CCB approved care in your area and reported vacancies visit:


          Call the Australian Government Child Care Access Hotline 1800 670 305 (a service is also
           available if you require information in a language other than English).

       If you need assistance when contacting us (if you are deaf or have a hearing impairment):

          Teletypewriter (TTY) users: phone 133 667 then ask for 1800 670 305. You need a TTY
           phone to use this service.

          Speak and Listen users: phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 670 305.

          Internet Relay Users: connect to the National Relay Service

       Useful resources

       For news and information on child care visit the mychild website available at
       Access the Child Care Estimator at
       Family Assistance payment rates fact sheet, available at

Correct as at 010812

To top