facility damages before
an incident or explosion.
Establish Standard Operating Procedures
(“SOPs”) for damage prevention.
• Prevent excavators who do not have a mark-
out request from excavating until the
underground facilities are marked.
Verify the mark-out request
• The underground facilities should be marked in
the area where the excavating is occurring with the
appropriate paint, flags and or stakes according to
the law (Underground facility Protection Act).
Verify valid mark-out request
• When excavation activity is observed:
– Large construction equipment
– Post hole diggers
– Hand excavation including planting trees / shrubs
– Or any other type of excavation
• Observe if paint or colored flags are marking the
underground facilities in the area of excavation
– If not, inquire with the excavator if they have a valid
mark-out request and what their request number is.
– The request number is 9-digits long with the first two
numbers representing the year (example: 050321010)
– If there are no marks & the excavator does not have a
mark-out request, have the excavator stop excavating.
No valid request
• Have the excavator stop excavating
• Notify the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities OneCall
Enforcement group, OSHA, or your local utility.
– BPU contact number 973.667.3204
• Essex, Hudson, Morris, Sussex (973) 263-1003
• Bergen, Passaic (201) 288-1700
• Hunterdon, Middlesex, Somerset, Union, Warren
• Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland,
Gloucester, Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean, Salem
Failing to have a mark-out request
• Can result in death, injuries, and / or property damage. The picture
below was the result of an excavator failing to request that
underground facilities be marked. Three people were killed.
Failing to have a mark-out for the work area
• You may find an excavator working beyond the
area they requested to be marked. This can also
result in death, injuries & property damage.
You can prevent underground
• Your action to stop illegal excavations that
endanger public safety can prevent serious
incidents from occurring.
Protect the Public
• Establish damage prevention SOPs for police,
building & parking inspectors, fire department
• For additional information call NJ Board of Public
Utilities One-Call Enforcement Group.
• For the law or a copy of the Underground Facility
– NJSA 48:2-73 through NJSA 48:2-91
– NJAC14:2-1.1 through NJAC 14:2-6.4
– OSHA Federal Regulation 1926.651