From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Coordinates: 51.4910°N 0.1225°W
Albert Embankment is part of the river bank on the south side of the River
Thames in Central London. It stretches approximately one mile (1.6 km) northward
from Vauxhall Bridge to Westminster Bridge, and is located in the London Borough
Albert Embankment is also the name given to the part of the A3036 road between
Vauxhall Bridge and Lambeth Bridge, where it adjoins Lambeth Palace Road and
Lambeth Road. On the west side of this road adjacent to Vauxhall Bridge is the
Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) building, while on the east side nearer to Lambeth
Bridge are the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) building and the former
headquarters of the London Fire Brigade. In the Thames opposite is London's only
Albert Embankment, including the SIS
river fire station, home to two fireboats.
Building (right), pictured from Millbank in
Created by the engineer Sir Joseph Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works 2008.
between July 1866 and November 1869, Albert Embankment included land
reclaimed from the river and various small timber and boat-building yards, and was intended to protect low-lying areas of
Lambeth from flooding while also providing a new highway to bypass local congested streets.
Unlike Bazalgette's Thames Embankment (including Chelsea Embankment and Victoria Embankment), the Albert
Embankment does not incorporate major interceptor sewers. This allowed the southern section of the embankment (upstream
from Lambeth Bridge) to include a pair of tunnels onto a small slipway, named White Hart Draw Dock, whose origins can be
traced back to the 15th century. This is contrary to the popular myth that the dock was built and used by the nearby Royal
Doulton's pottery works to transport clay and finished goods to and from the Port of London. From spring 2009, refurbishment
of White Hart Dock commenced as part of an ongoing public art project being delivered by Lambeth council. 
Some of the reclaimed land was sold to the trustees of St Thomas' Hospital. To the north of Lambeth Bridge, the
embankment is a narrower pedestrian promenade in front of the hospital, with motor traffic carried behind the hospital on
Lambeth Palace Road.
In common with other Bazalgatte works, the original embankment is adorned with sturgeon lamp standards to the designs of
George Vulliamy. The southern limit of Bazalgatte's embankment was opposite Tinworth Street, where the road moves away
from the riverside.
The stretch south of Tinworth Street was occupied by industrial and wharf premises until World War II. These areas have
subsequently been redeveloped as offices, with extensions to the embankment being constructed to a more utilitarian design
than the Bazalgatte/Vulliamy stretch. Public pedestrian access to this newer embankment between Lambeth Bridge and the
main road stretch of Albert Embankment was only secured in the 1990s. Parts of this section of the embankment have a
provisional appearance, as the landowners still have hopes for future redevelopment that could move the embankment line
further into the river. However, encroachment of the tidal river bed habitat is contrary to the current planning policies of
List of eponymous roads in London
1. ^ "What's on" . London Borough of Lambeth. Retrieved on 4th January 2009.
White Hart Dock Public Art & Community Engagement Project.
Survey of London entry (1951)
via Albert Embankment