Ch # 1
The Science of Chemistry
What is a Science?
The observation, identification, description,
experimental investigation, and theoretical
explanation of natural phenomena.
The science of the composition, structure,
properties and reactions of matter, especially
of atomic and molecular systems.
• Hypothesis: A trial • Theory: Well-
explanation of certain established hypothesis.
facts that provides a An explanation of the
basis for further general principles of
experimentation. certain phenomena with
or facts to support it.
Law: Statement of natural phenomena to
which no exceptions are known under the given
conditions. A law is not an explanation.
1. Collect facts or data that are relevant to the
problem or question at hand. This is usually
done by experimentation.
2. Analyze the data to find trends (regularities).
3. Formulate a hypothesis that will account for
the data and that can be tested by further
4. Plan and do additional experiments to test the
5. Modify the hypothesis to ensure compatibility
with the experimental data.
Tentative Explanation Explanation of the
of General Principles
Certain Facts of Certain Phenomena
Provides a Considerable Evidence
Basis for or Facts
Further Experimentation Support It
Simple Statement No Exceptions
of Natural Phenomena Under the Given