RTAC Coordinators Meeting
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Coordinators in attendance: Judy Jones, Greg Breen, Bob Nack, Robert Ramerez, Dave
Taylor, Michael Fraley, Brian Posner, Dan Williams
Others in Attendance: Cheryl Paar, Kathy Murphey, Bridgette Flatley, Diane Christen,
Cecile D'Huyvetter, Paul Wittkamp, Dennis Tomczyk
1. Introductions & welcome
2. State Update – Diane Christen
a. State Trauma Coordinator Position
i. Approved for reposting, currently in union posting
ii. Review process will include STAC and other representatives from
iii. Diane is very motivated to get the position filled but there may be
a delay as the State doesn’t like to hire right at the end of the
b. Discussion about her request for our files
i. She is mainly interested in minutes from the last three years
c. Certificate of compliance for 2009-2010
i. Send to Bridgette if not already done
ii. Bridgette Flately email@example.com (608) 267-
d. Budgets for 2010-2011
i. Send to Bridgette if not already done
i. There are candidates being considered
f. STAC openings
i. Discussion of process for filling positions. Send candidates to
g. CARS reports
i. Bridgette will show RTAC Coordinators how to get 603 reports if
3. Approval of minutes with the deletion of line about Dan D RTAC activity. Motion
by Greg Breen, Second by Judy J. APPROVED.
4. Objectives for 2010-2011
a. All RTACs are on schedule for meeting objectives and no issues were
5. Objectives for 2011-2012
a. Robert asked how we need to be prepared. Objectives need to be
approved and to State the first week of April. Will place on December
agenda to start drafting. Coordinators need to begin considering what we
will want to include.
6. Trauma Training Update
a. Dan W attended NIH conference in San Antonio but did not get anything
new. Michael attended the PHTLS update but does not feel any of the
changes need to be included in our training.
b. Will stress Pediatric Assessment Triangle more
c. Will add more about GSW
d. Will add something about special interest groups (geriatric)
e. Triage – continue to talk about START but we should also include SALT.
Group is not endorsing any particular protocol or product.
i. Dennis has STAT wristbands available for services for free.
1. He will bring supplies of them to the next meeting and we
can distribute from there.
ii. Paul updated us on the 13 service trial of the patient tracking
program. Will see about doing a demo at the next meetings.
7. WHEPP update
a. Discussion about how the Trauma Basics program has been going.
i. Classes need to be done by April 30th and requests for
reimbursement should be in as soon as possible after that.
ii. Group agreed that we would like to continue into the next FY
i. EMS Board Sub-Committee approved adoption of the plan but
changed it to “WI EMS MCI Response Plan Guide” (EMS Board
approved it 10/6/10)
ii. Dennis asked how we should help distribute – newsletters,
websites, service visits, conferences
i. Elizabeth is having trouble getting communication from a few
counties. Dennis will put her in contact with the RTAC
Coordinators for them.
ii. Updates on how they are doing in all areas of the state will be
d. Tactical Medic
i. Dennis is attending a meeting Friday about developing a state
plan for tactical medic organization, training and certification.
ii. Group thought it was something that there was interest in and
should move forward.
e. Advanced Burn Life Support course
i. Discussion about offering the course to EMS providers again.
8. Websites – discussion of what RTACs are using
a. Hosting – Host Rocket, GoDaddy
b. Editing software – Intuit, Website Tonight
9. RTAC Bylaws and Structure
a. Brief discussion of whether or not we want or need them. Cheryl
mentioned that the Trauma Coordinators have SOGs. Group agreed that
at this point we will not pursue bylaws or SOGs for the group.
10. Trauma Program Manage PI education
a. Disk from the training a few months ago should be available soon. Cheryl
has one she can copy if needed.
b. Brian will continue to track down and share with group when he gets it
11. Regional updates
a. Judy – updating EMS contact and medical director lists; did 3 Trauma
b. Michael – podcasts back up and running; Alcohol awareness IP project;
updating EMS service/ medical director list, pushing out Trauma Triage
c. Dave - $29,000 grants; getting an all new executive council; getting a new
portable SimMan; sub-committees are becoming active; seeing more
participation in RTAC
d. Greg – been doing Trauma Basics; car seat training; car control clinic for
e. Dan W – planning a 1-day conference; updating the Trauma Basics
f. Robert – just finished their conference; considering doing another one
next year; doing Trauma Basics training
g. Brian – mini-Fall Summit; MCI drill (2 phase)
h. Bob N – SimMan PDA manikin; EMS-ER patient information sheet;
revision to Trauma Triage Protocol
12. PHTLS 7th Edition update
a. Michael gave a brief update on the new version of the PHTLS program.
b. Includes an 8-hour First Responder level course.
13. Motion by Dan Williams to adjourn. Second by Dave Taylor. APPROVED