The Do’s and Don’ts in Buying a Mattress
By: Vic Busciglio
When you are in the market for a mattress, you want to make sure that the mattress you get is
worth every cent you spend on it. Mattresses are quite expensive. The money that you shell out
for one is an investment for your long-term comfort and wellbeing. Thus, you could be kicking
yourself if you end up with a lemon for a mattress. Here are some of the dos and don'ts that you
can observe to help you find the mattress that would give you sleeping comfort at a cost that
you would not regret paying later on.
- Plan your purchase, starting with the exact spot in the bedroom where the mattress will be
placed. Consider the size of the room and the size of the mattress you intend to buy. Mattresses
come in all shapes and sizes. The idea is to buy a mattress that won't cramp your room but
contribute to the harmony and aesthetics of the room.
- Set aside a budget for the mattress purchase. Make sure that you will not be sacrificing your
ability to buy other necessities when planning to buy a plush mattress.
- Do some research on the product you are planning to buy. See to it that the shops you visit are
selling the kind of product you want to buy. You should be more vigilant about the purchases
that you want to make. Some salespersons sell products with the use of deception to make you
- Look at the mattress; touch it, smell it, lay down on it, try everything possible to assess the
quality of the product to make sure that you are getting your money's worth.
- When trying the mattress at the store for size, lie on your back which should be supported in a
slight curve, without a gap between the mattress and your back. When you lie on your side, the
mattress should hold your spine straight, without a gap between you and the mattress. You
would do well to examine if the mattress has ample and strong innersprings in it.
- Buying a mattress on a spur-of-the-moment impulse. The worst that you can do is buying a
mattress just because you need it right away.
- Shopping online or by phone unless you have personally tweaked the product on a previous
- Getting the first mattress that attracts your attention at the shop. Examine and test as many
products as you can before making the final purchase.
- Purchasing without asking the shop owners the proper maintenance of the mattress. You need
to know how to take care of the product so it will serve you longer.
- Concluding the transaction without negotiating for a better price. Sometimes haggling can
reduce the price of products, which can save you money.
- Expecting a mattress to last a lifetime. You will be in for a disappointment if you think that way.
- Buying without testing the firmness of the mattress. Mattresses are made with different levels
of firmness, from the super firm to the super soft. Test mattresses at various retailers and make
sure you try different manufacturers as well. This way, you will find the mattress that you need.
Source: Florida Mattress and Furniture
We are selling top quality Mattress and Furniture designs produced with craftsmanship and
style beyond the expected. Visit the Gallery of Florida Mattress and Furniture showroom for
quality furniture and mattress purchasing.