WDF User Group Action Plan v3 2 by IFY9nc7Y

VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 6

									Title:      WDF User Group Action Plan
Background: Created following User Group (England) meeting on 17th February.
            Based on BeEnvironmental UG report and template.


                  Date of
 Version    Creation/Revision Reason for update                         Who? copy saved elsewhere?
   1.0      25-Feb-06         Creation of document                      EW   No
                              Revision of proposed actions for
    2.0     4-Apr-06          meeting with Enviros                      JH     L:\Topics\WASTE\Municipal Waste\Waste
                              Review for UG June meeting, reformat
    3.0     9-May-06          & updated completed actions               JH     No
    3.1     30-May-06         Reviewed following May OG                 JH     NO
                              Reviewed following March UG in
    3.2     1-Jun-07          preparation for June OG.                  JH     No.
ed elsewhere?


WASTE\Municipal Waste\WasteDataFlow\1 - Management\WDF - UG (England)\1 - 17 Feb Meeting
v.3.0 WasteDataFlow User Group (England) Action Plan
                                                                                                   Chosen
                                                                                                  Solution &    Owner
Issue Raised                          Suggested Solution                                           Priority     (contributor)                     Proposed Actions                      Target data   Status
General issues
1      General feeling of lack of     1 Provide more training on the reason and                      High       Enviros         Included in regional training sessions during March- March-May 06     completed

       confidence in system and low     application of WDF - explain the need to submit                         (Defra, EA)     May 2006
       understanding of                 data
       aims/objectives of WDF and                                                                               Enviros         Include in future training programme. Generally          on-going     on-going

       transparency in use made of                                                                              (Defra, EA)     cover in other dissemination opportunities (e.g.
       data. This is a key barrier to                                                                                           flycapture workshops, LATS events).
       success.
                                      2 Provide definitions of different report outputs to           High       Enviros         Definitions of advanced reports being incorporated        May-06      No longer required as
                                                                                                                                                                                                      detailed report review is on-
       Issue of WCAs not                explain their purpose and use                                           (Defra,         into pdf Guidance Manual on WDF website.                              going.
       submitting data and the need                                                                             Devolveds)
       for their information for LATS                                                                           OG              - update definitions of reports promptly in line with    on-going     on-going
       calculations.                                                                                                            system changes and disseminate these.
                                                                                                                                - definitions & rationale for reports included to be
                                                                                                                                included in next revision of hard copy Guidance
                                                                                                                                Manual.
                                                                                                                                - obtain UG input into development of new reports.

                                       3 Provide LAs with a timeline of when developments            Yes        Enviros         New functionality launched April 06; obtain UG            Jun-06      On June UG agenda.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Completed 5 July 06
                                         are coming to WDF                                                                      feedback
                                                                                                                OG              For future IT developments, disseminate indicative       on-going     review July 2006.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Development programme
                                                                                                                                timetable to UG during planning phase if feasible                     discussed at each
                                                                                                                                                                                                      subsequent UG meeting.

                                       4 Explain the EA calculation of LATS from WDF                 High       EA              - EA Factsheet on process produced and                    Mar-06      completed

                                                                                                                                disseminated to WDA/UAs
                                                                                                                Defra EPE       - M-BEAM being revised to reference WDF                   Jun-06      road testing & peer review
                                                                                                                                                                                                      being conducted. Now
                                                                                                                ESI             questions                                                             launched.
                                                                                                                Defra WS        - LATS events being organised by WS/Entec               19th & 23rd
                                                                                                                                                                                          June 06
                                                                                                                EA (Enviros) - provide indicative mass balance calculation on             Nov-06      MBC report implemented
                                                                                                                                                                                                      for UAs in Nov 06 and for
                                                                                                                             summary sheet?                                                           WDAs in Jan 07.
                                                                                                                EA              - more detail on what EA is doing with WDF data         review Sep    lots of actions
                                                                                                                                                                                                      completed/ongoing in this
                                                                                                                                for audit?                                                            area, so review lessons
                                                                                                                                                                                                      learnt from 2005/6 audit.
                                       5 Make it a statutory duty for all authorities to submit   Not at this   WS              To be reviewed Defra LATS policy team, could            LATS review   watching brief.

                                         WDF return                                                 stage                       provide longer term solution. Need to consider             2007
                                                                                                                                pros & cons in wider context.
                                       6 WDF to be used as a tool to collect BVPIs data -            High       Defra ESI       Actively working with ODPM & AC to do this and           Completed    UG consulted on
                                                                                                                                                                                                      methodology on 30/3.
                                         consistent with aim to be one stop shop and                            (WSS            have engaged UG in calculation methodology.                           Implemented Sep 06.
                                         provides further incentive for WCAs to submit
                                                                                                                Defra &       - agree calculation, implement system changes &            Completed    Discussed at June UG.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Completed Oct 07
                                                                                                                Enviros       issue guidance.
                                       7 Allow WDAs to complete WDF on behalf of a                   Yes        EA            - EA has been contacting all WDAs to discuss                Mar-06      completed

                                         WCA - both parties to provide consent                                                options for providing WCA data, including WDA
                                                                                                                              completion of WCA
                                                                                                                Defra         - All WDAs given read-only rights to WCAs as                Jun-06      Completed June 2006.

                                                                                                                (Enviros, EA) default




 Action plan from User Group
                                         8 Operational Group to discuss the issue of WCAs        Yes    EA            Discussed in February OG meeting. EA contacted            Feb-06      completed, but general
                                                                                                                                                                                            activity will be on-going
                                           providing info and LATS calculation                                        each WDA by phone to discuss issues in their
                                                                                                                      area.
                                                                                                        UG            - will be on-going topic and ideas to facilitate this
                                                                                                                      are welcome
2         Make WDF compatible with          1 Provide the core set of questions in a             Yes    Defra         - modify core data set pdf that is already available      May-06      circulated to UG for
                                                                                                                                                                                            comments, 25 May 06.
          existing spreadsheets used          downloadable form capable of incorporation in             (Enviros)     to be more 'template' suitable and produce                            Completed and available on
          to collect data at a local level.   Excel spreadsheets                                                      versions tailored to WDA/WCA/UAs                                      WDF website.
                                            2 Provide ability to upload data into WDF           Maybe   OG            There are technical barriers to this, mainly due to     Review Sept   On current development
                                                                                                                                                                                            plan for XML specification.
                                                                                                                      changing destinations, and variable length
                                                                                                                      answers. Requires system development and so
                                                                                                                      has significant cost implications.
                                         3 Provide 'good practice' internal data capture         Yes    UG            Need greater clarity on user need. Difficulty is        Review June   For discussion in break-out
                                                                                                                                                                                            groups, 5th June.
                                            spreadsheets to assist LAs (Staffs & Peterborough                         balance between generally applicable tool and that           06       Proven difficult to identify
                                            have examples which may be transferable to other                          which is useful to individual LA.                                     user requirement
                                            WDAs)                                                                     Topic for future UG?
                                                                                                        OG            General good practice guidance for data handling                      Can make LAs aware, not
                                                                                                                                                                                            felt worthwhile to expand for
                                                                                                                      in Scotland availble. Circulated to OG for their                      other countries, given range
                                                                                                                      input on how to use this. Best option to                              of LA situations.
                                                                                                                      disseminate weblink to Scottish guidance.

3         LAs wanted to see a            1 Enviros will make the validation summary sheet        Yes    Enviros       Development item due for completion by end of             Mar-06      Completed

          validation spreadsheet           available on the WDF website.                                              March.
          similar to that provided for
          the previous MWMS.
                                                                                                        Enviros       - keep summary sheet under review and modify as           Review      discussed at June UG,
                                                                                                                                                                                            enviros validation reviewed
                                                                                                        (Defra, EA)   required in response to user comments                     Autumn      Sep 06. Still need to
                                                                                                                      - generate full written list of all validation checks                 address validation issue;
                                                                                                                      undertaken by Enviros/EA/Defra, including                             factsheet in development.

                                                                                                                      tolerances and priority and make publicly available.


4         LAs thought reconciling        1 Bring deadline forward for WCA                        No     OG            Not considered fair or practical for WCAs
          differences in WCA and         2 Enviros informed LAs that there is a 'window' in      Yes                  Consider relaxing need for WCA permission for             May-06      see 1.7
          WDA submissions could be         the current timescale, after data has been rolled                          WDA to have read-only access to WCA returns
          handled more efficiently.        up (at level 10) for the WDA to view a WCA                                 (see 1.7)
                                           submission provided permission is granted -
                                           maybe need to highlight that this function is
                                           available to users
5         Consider adding county and     1 Amend the selection options for the benchmarking     Maybe   OG/PMB        Depends on technical feasibility, but could put   Review Sept         Report functionality review
                                                                                                                                                                                            completed March 07; new
          regional groupings to the        reports.                                                                   regional groupings into reporting functions in         06             screens and report in
          reports.                                                                                                    analogous way to csv development. Cost of IT                          implementation phase.
                                                                                                                      change to be assessed.
6         Make the system more user      1 Have an automatic save on each data entry             Yes    Enviros       A prompt to save when navigating away from a        Mar-06            completed

          friendly                         screen.                                                                    question has been added.
                                         2 Add a question complete box to the top of the        Maybe   OG            Logic of box at bottom is to ensure user reviews Review Sep 06        Practical page navigation
                                                                                                                                                                                            provided (June 06) to
                                           screen.                                                                    what has been completed for each question before                      facilitate moving to bottom
                                                                                                                      stating it is complete.                                               of screen and back.
                                         3 Question management options so that Qs not            No                   Creates danger that a question which becomes                          New screen for on-line
                                                                                                                                                                                            question management
                                           applicable to an authority can be hidden                                   applicable due to a change in circumstances is   Implemented          implemented in May 07.
                                                                                                                      overlooked.                                        May 2007
                                         4 retain headers when scrolling down page              Maybe   OG            a good idea, but is technically very difficult.                       costly change, therefore
                                                                                                                                                                                            question cost benefit ratio
                                         5 cumulative totals for 51 to 53.                       Yes    OG            will be encompassed by summary sheet                      Apr-06      completed




    Action plan from User Group
                                            6 make it clearer how LA can determine incomplete         Yes        Enviros      Added to Question Management Page                      May-07       completed

                                              questions
                                            7 An 'N/A' tick box at the top of the screen.            Maybe       OG           LA question management page                             May-07      Completed

                                            8 Terminology could be clearer e.g. rolling-up data       Yes        All          Terminology has presumably evolved for a reason,       on-going
                                                                                                                              but agree need to be consistent in terminology and
                                                                                                                              try to use plain English where possible.

7         Ability to correct data after     1 Clarity is needed over the process of rolling down      Yes        Enviros      Included in Guidance Manual FAQs and will be         March-May 06   completed

          submission.                         data if changes need to be made.                                                reflected in training. Helpline can also advise.
                                                                                                                              Roll-down request form and procedure
                                                                                                                              implemented by EA
8         Monthly reporting of data.        1 Introduce a monthly reporting system.                No - not at   OG/PMB       Likely to be very costly                             Keep under
                                                                                                   this stage                                                                        review
9         Providing third parties with      1 Develop read-only access to data for external           Yes        Enviros      Read-only access to csv download is part of new        Mar-06       completed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Further reporting
          'read-only' access rights e.g.      bodies.                                                                         functionality                                                       functionality being
          GOs etc.                                                                                                                                                                                implemented.
10        Improve the online help           1 Review the online help function.                        Yes        OG/UG        Agree need to update on-line help. Topic for UG         Jun-06      Topic for 5th June UG.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Implemented July 06
          function making it consistent                                                                                       input on what is needed.
          with the hard-copy manual.

11        Make the updated guidance         1 Put the pdf version of the guidance notes online.       Yes        Enviros      Updated pdf version of the guidance manual now          Mar-06      completed

          manual available.                                                                                                   available on the WDF website
12        Provide more training             1 Regional training courses are being rolled out in       Yes        Enviros      Rolling regional training programme implemented        May-06       completed

          courses for new staff or to         March/April/May.
          refresh previous LA users.
13        Widen scope for LA                1 Consider introducing bulletin                          Maybe       OG           depends on technical feasibility, cost, ownership    Review Sep     GLA volunteered to pilot a
                                                                                                                                                                                                  WDF discussion forum for
          discussion/information              board/FAQ/discussion forum                                                      and maintanance considerations.                         2006        London on CWF.
          sharing within WDF                                                                                                                                                                      Take-up by LAs was very
                                                                                                                                                                                                  poor therefore decided not
                                                                                                                                                                                                  worth rolling out nationally.

Specific content issues
14      CA site input - why do WDAs         1 Provide further guidance on why necessary for           Yes        OG           District split of CA waste means that we know all     OG 24 May
        need to apportion the CA site         district split in Q14.                                                          MSW collected for recycling within each WCA
        data per district?                                                                                                    area. Being used by EA for audit for LATS

15        Authorities obtaining          1 Provide LAs with 'best practice' guidance notes re         Yes        OG           Scotland guidance on best practise for data -        Review June    specific BP guidance
                                                                                                                                                                                                  requirements to be
          information on destinations of   obtaining data from contractors.                                                   make final version available for England                  06        discussed at June UG
          recyclate                                                                                                           authorities. Lots of other sources available, e.g
                                                                                                                              WIP, SECE, WRAP, CIWM etc
                                            2 Consistent guidance on use of 'other/exempt'            Yes        Defra (EA)   Need to provide clear line on what to do with non-      Jun-06      Defra/EA discussions with
                                                                                                                                                                                                  industry representatives
                                              category.                                                                       compliant contractors                                               ongoing
16        MRFs/transfer stations used       1 Issue guidance on how to apportion material             Yes        OG           - possible spreadsheet method provided by              May-06       MRF factsheet provided.

          by a number of authorities &        through MRF/transfer station so all LAs adopt the                               Peterborough - need to review this and see if
          recyclates sent to a variety of     same methodology.                                                               suitable.
          destinations.                                                                                                       - authorities should be agreeing method for their
                                                                                                                              own areas
17        WCAs have some difficulty         1 Review Q23 requirement for WCAs to report final        Maybe       OG           Reviewed at OG and agreed to remove destination         Jun-06      Completed

          obtaining destination               destination                                                                     row from Q23
          information from WDAs for
          Q23




    Action plan from User Group
18     Q5 - number of households    1 - remove total row as is misleading.                      Yes      UG            simpler solution of refined guidance is preferred       Jun-06
       can be double counted where    - provide guidance which acknowledges potential                                  through review of on-line help.
       different collection systems   for double counting
       overlap but cover the same
       property.

19     Q17 & Q33 - the no. of bring     1 Consider introducing a question to record total       Yes      Enviros (OG) It is intended that there is this double counting         Jul-06     Additional question for N
                                                                                                                                                                                           bring sites introduced for
       sites is double counted            number of bring sites.                                                      within Qs 17 and 33.                                                 2006/7.
       where more that one material                                                                                   Agreed need for additional question to record total
       bank is sited at a single                                                                                      number of bring sites, as per CA site question
       location.                                                                                                      [open scottish question to other countries for
                                                                                                                      2006/7 data collection]
20     Q21 - the number of compost      1 consider including option to carryover data entered    No                   - potential double counting will relate to                Jul-06     Functionality to copy over
                                                                                                                                                                                           data and comments from
       bins has the potential for         from previous quarter                                                       households receiving a home composter, not to N                      previous quarter
       double counting in                                                                                             composters. This is acknowledged. Carrying over                      implemented.
       aggregation over the year.                                                                                     data from previous quarter will not alleviate this.
                                                                                                                      - some error in monthly->quarterly roll-up for this
                                                                                                                      question identified. Being resolved.

21     White goods, flytipped           1 A spreadsheet showing 'typical' responsible           Yes      Enviros (OG) - annex 4 of guidance 'summary of applicable             Jun-06      Reflected in review on on-
                                                                                                                                                                                           line help.
       wastes, abandoned vehicles         authorities for submitting data                                             questions' provides overview, but can also provide
       & home composting bins:                                                                                        additional guidance on under what circumstances
       data is requested from both                                                                                    WCA or WDA would complete each, and flag up
       WCA/WDA - potential for                                                                                        need to liase in two-tier areas.
       double counting?                                                                                               -Should also be clarified through training.

22     Issue was raised re where to     1 Enviros confirmed bulky waste should be provided      Yes                    Update guidance/on-line help. Link to 10.1              Jun-06
       record 'bulky waste'.              in Q10 - guidance and help function should reflect
                                          this.
23     WDF should contain               1 include standard weights in WDF, and automatic        partly                 Average weights are given in Guidance manual           completed
       'standard weights' for white       calculation                                                                  (appendix 2). Could make available on-line. Don't
       goods/abandoned vehicles                                                                                        propose to include automatic calculation as av
       etc. so auto calc can be                                                                                        weights for e.g. abandoned vehicles are intended
       made.                                                                                                           to be used only when don’t have actual data.

24     Where should flytipped           1 Provide guidance.                                     Yes      Enviros       What's the helpline response on this?                   Jun-06      Helpline advise this ought to
                                                                                                                                                                                           be recorded in Question 23
       asbestos waste be entered?                                                                                      Helpline guidance on issue needs to be                              under "Waste Arising from
                                                                                                                       incorporated into on-line help for Q23.                             clearance of fly-tipped
                                                                                                                                                                                           materials".


25     Q11 - grey header bar does       1 Review and change if necessary.                       Yes      Enviros       change text in drop-down box for Q11.                  completed
       not match the question.                                                                                         From 'Tonnes from non-hh ks recycling' to
                                                                                                                       (propose) 'Tonnes of non-hh recycling'
26     Landfill option has only three   1 Increase the number of boxes for landfill site         n/a                    [subsequent clarification is that additional boxes    already in
       boxes whereas more are             selection                                                                    are made available after first 3 entries are saved].      place
       required in some areas.
27     Destination drop down boxes      1 Increase the character length of the drop down        Yes      Enviros       Completed as part of Spring development work           completed
       aren't long enough.                box.

Key
       High priority item
       Medium priority item
       Low priority item
       Solution not suitable


 Action plan from User Group

								
To top