Religions and Racial Harmony
To understand how the teachings of Christianity and
Islam promote Racial Harmony.
To understand what drove Martin Luther King Junior
and Malcolm X to the idea that people of all
races are equal.
Which of these are examples of
Apartheid Thinking all The treatment
Irish people of Blacks in
are ginger 1940s
Being part of
WIPEOUT Telling racist Activities of
the BNP jokes the KKK
paid less than
Martin Luther King Jnr
MLK was a Christian minister. Christians believe
that racism is wrong for a number of reasons.
• Jesus’ teachings – The Parable of the Good
• St Peter’s vision – God has no favourites among
• God created man in His image
• All Christian churches have members and priests
or all races.
Watch the two clips of Malcolm X
The First was when he was part of a racist group
known as the “Nation of Islam.
The Second was after he returned from a Pilgrimage
(Hajj) to Makkah.
What made him change?
Muslims are Against Racism
1) In the Qur’an it says that Allah created all people
2) Muhammad (PBUH) said that: “No Arab is greater than
a non-Arab and no non-Arab is greater than an Arab.
3) The followers of Muhammad (PBUH) were of many
different races and backgrounds.
4) The Qur’an teaches that all Muslims are one Ummah
(nation). They are brothers and sisters of each other.
This can be seen when Muslims perform Hajj. They all
wear simple white garments to show they are all equal
1) Explain why Christians should help promote
racial harmony. (3 points with reasons)
2) Write down Surah 49:13 from page 112 and
explain why Muslims are against racism.
3) Can you be racist and religious? Give reasons
for your answer.
If participants were discriminated for their
religion rather than their sex would it
have been acceptable to give different
participants varying prize monies?