Usability, usability, usability.
• Independent consultant - email@example.com
• BBC new media pioneer, usability evangelist
• HCI researcher
• User-centred design advocate
• Optimistic enabler and general oompa-loompa for hire
This talk covers
• What usability is in practice.
• The other stuff to consider.
• Beyond usability.
I. Practical usability
1. Usability is … usability testing
Making something easy or easier to use.
2. Usability is … UCD
User-centred design – a specific process and approach to
product and service design that is user-centric in order to
understand user as well as business needs.
3. Usability is … UXD
User Experience Design is an approach to creating
pleasurable and successful experiences for people in any
Constituent elements from:
• Human-computer interaction
• Library science
• Social science research methods
• Product development methodology and research methods
• Marketing and audience research
• Information design
•Do it for real.
•Do it for yourselves.
•Make specific changes.
II. The other stuff.
1. Influence and persuasion
BBC and local government
• Public service
• Many departments
• Diverse aims
• Large and complex
• Centralised and London-centric
BBC broadband portal
• BBC2 screenshot
2. Project management
Defining and redefining the brief
Understanding the project type
Maintaining communication flow
3. Multidisciplinary teams
Production Market &
Editorial Strategy Audience
Management Brand & Marketing
III. Beyond usability.
1. Service Design
• Product design thinking as applied to services.
• Design culture is impacting large organisations and
• New service discovery born of emergent needs of
communities of users.
2. Multiple channels, speed & mobility
Number of photos from 7/7/05
3. Fast interconnectivity
• RSS (Real Simple Syndication)
• BBC Backstage screenshot
“ In future, kindly fulfil the local authority
stereotype of unhelpful delay and bureaucracy.
Making the process polite, effortless and near
instantaneous has left me feeling disoriented.
Useful, Usable and Used.