APEH/Mr. Biniukow Name_____________________________________
Historical Validity in Hollywood
4th Marking Period and Final Exam Project
1. Choose a movie below that portrays Europe in one of the many time
periods that we have learned about this year. Suggested Movies are…
1. Braveheart (Middle Ages) 16. Paths of Glory (WW1)
2. A Man for All Seasons (Thomas More) 17. Lawrence of Arabia (WW1)
3. 1492 (Columbus) 18. Dr. Zhivago (Russian Revolution)
4. Elizabeth (Elizabeth I) 19. For Whom the Bell Tolls (Spanish Civil War)
5. The Scarlet Empress (Cathy the Great) 20. The Great Escape (WW2)
6. The Madness of King George (George III) 21. Saving Private Ryan (WW2)
7. Amazing Grace (Wilberforce England) 22. Enemy at the Gates (Stalingrad)
8. Marie Antoinette 1938 or 2006 (French Rev) 23. Stalingrad (Stalingrad)
9. Danton (French Rev) 24. Atonement (WW2)
10. Les Miserables w/Claire Danes (French Rev) 25. Bridge on the River Kwai (WW2)
11. Master and Commander (Napoleon) 26. Downfall (WW2 and Hitler)
12. Napoleon (Napoleon) 27. Life is Beautiful (Holocaust)
13. Amadaeus (Mozart) 28. The Pianist (Holocaust)
14. Immortal Beloved (Beethoven) 29. Judgment at Nuremburg (Nuremburg Trials)
15. Anastasia 1956 or 1997 (2 different stories) 30. Bloody Sunday (Ireland Violence)
***If there is another movie you would like to view, just consult with me with your proposal
2. Summary of the Movie:
Watch the movie and write a 2-page summary of the movie. A synopsis of the story should include
where it took place, what was the timeframe of the film, who were the main characters, and what was
the plot and what were the storylines.
3. Annotated Bibliography
Compile a 15-source annotated bibliography. You must include most of the following types of
sources listed below in your bibliography. The sources need to all be about the era in which your
movie supposedly (or actually) took place. These sources should be able to provide information
about the location and era the story occurred. Some of the sources should be about the movie
directly, but you are limited to only 2 of those, and they should be either a book or movie review.
1. Reference books
2. Journal articles
3. Newspaper articles
6. Film Review (limited to only 2)
7. Magazine Articles
8. Movies (other movies, such as documentaries about the same era)
The Annotations will include 3 full paragraphs:
1. Summary of the Source
2. Explanation of exactly how the information in the source supports or contradicts the movie.
Did the source provide any details as false, or did it provide support for any specific details.
You must be specific!!! You must use actual examples, and quotes from the source.
3. Explanation of why you think the source is a good source. Does it provide accurate
information about your topic, if not why don’t you think so? If yes, explain how you know.
4. One Page Synopsis:
After completing the bibliography, you are to write a 2-page (double spaced) synopsis explaining
whether or not the movie you chose is a valid representation of an actual historical era, and historical
event. Did the movie create a likely story and did it represent a particular era of time in European
History? Point out specific sources that helped you come to your decision, and what exactly about
those sources helped you come to your decision.
5. Your 12-15 minute PowerPoint Presentation:
Here is your chance to present what you have discovered, and what you have researched. Your job
is to give a brief critique of the movie you chose and of its historical accuracy in a PowerPoint
Show/Speech. Included in your presentation must be all of the following:
A Brief introduction of the movie…what was it? What was the plot? And what was the
historical era it was representing?
Summary: Briefly summarize the quality of the movie in terms of its historical accuracy. Do
you recommend it as a historical study of a particular era, or is it purely for entertainment?