PRACTICAL GRAMMAR TEST 4
MARKS______________________________________________________________ Author: Piotr Matyjaszek ®
I. TRANSFORM THE GIVEN WORD SO THAT IT MATCHES TO THE REST OF THE SENTENCE.
1. Giving the ideal speech is a matter of ___________________ in yourself. CONFIDENT
2. The most ___________________ item on show today is a cushioned sofa. VALUE
3. More and more people are out of work because of increasing ___________________. EMPLOYER
4. We do not use articles such as ‘a’ and ‘an’ before ____________________ nouns. COUNT
5. The local authorities decided to ____________________ the lake in the park. DEEP
6. ___________________ diseases lead to death sooner or later. CURE
7. After having received a raw steak the customer was _________________ with the service. SATISFY
8. The woman wanted to __________________ having seen the robbery. DENIAL
9. We were pleased with all the ________________ villages we had visited during our trip. COAST
10. Physical work is bound to __________________ your body and muscles. STRENGTH
II. REWRITE THE SENTENCES USING THE GIVEN WORD.
1. I can’t find my shoes.
I wish ______________________________________________________________ were. KNEW
2. Too many sweets are bad for you.
It is________________________________________________________ to many sweets. EAT
3. The repairs to my roof will be expensive.
Repairing ___________________________________________________ a lot of money. COST
4. I gave her my address.
I __________________________________________________________________ lived. WHERE
5. My parcel hasn’t arrived yet.
I still ___________________________________________________________my parcel. RECIEVED
6. My jacket needs washing.
I need __________________________________________________________________. WASHED
7. I’d prefer to stay rather than leave.
I ______________________________________________________________ than leave. RATHER
8. You shouldn’t accuse her of breaking the figurine any more.
It’s high time ___________________________________________________ the figurine. STOPPED
9. ,,I didn’t see the boy’’ Larry said.
Larry _____________________________________________________________ the boy. DENIED
10. Tim didn’t go to the party. Neither did Jack.
Both __________________________________________________________ to the party. AND
III. FILL IN THE EMPTY SPACES USING ONLY ONE WORD.
Creativity is a very good quality _________________ a human being’s mind. We do appreciate people who are able
to come ___________________ with astonishing ideas in a short time. But the appreciation is not the
______________________ one prize we can receive ___________________ other people. Creativity also involves
making plenty of money when used properly and usefully. For ___________________, if you have a talent
___________________ some valuable and specific things, you can __________________ hired by a powerful
company and given a dream-like job. Furthermore, creativity makes our lives easier since it helps us
deal ___________________ everyday problems more successfully. As we may notice, there are lots of advantages
__________________ being a creative person. Yet, for some, creative people are often a bit weird ___________ well.