The Great Gatsby
Literary Terms to Define
Events, Topics, & Vocabulary to Know and Understand
Holy Grail _________________________________________________________________________
Black Sox Scandal __________________________________________________________________
Volstead Act _______________________________________________________________________
Jazz Age __________________________________________________________________________
Black Tuesday/Black Thursday_________________________________________________________
Arnold Rothstein ___________________________________________________________________
Themes, Symbols, Motifs, Etc. to Know
Green Light ________________________________________________________________________
Eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg ____________________________________________________________
Valley of Ashes ____________________________________________________________________
East Egg/West Egg __________________________________________________________________
American Dream ___________________________________________________________________
Distinction of Social Classes __________________________________________________________
Symbolism of Automobiles ___________________________________________________________
1. How is F. Scott Fitzgerald tied to the “Star-Spangled Banner”?
2. Who became F. Scott Fitzgerald’s wife?
3. Describe the relationship/marriage between the two
4. What became of his wife?
5. Who was Shelia Graham and how was she connected to the family?
6. How are F. Scott Fitzgerald and Jay Gatsby similar in character?
Guided Questions for the Novel
1. You should be familiar with ALL characters, especially your main characters (Nick, Daisy,
Gatsby, Jordan, Tom, Myrtle, George)
2. What time period is this novel set?
3. What does Daisy say when the nurse told her that she had a daughter?
4. Explain the differences between East and West Egg?
5. List the colors associated with East/West Egg?
6. What is unusual about Nick’s first glimpse of Jay Gatsby?
7. What does it appear that Gatsby is looking at?
8. What are the “eyes of T.J. Eckleburg”?
9. What is the Valley of Ashes?
10. Name the colors associated with the valley?
11. What happens between Tom and Myrtle in the city that causes a scene?
12. Name the rumors associated with Jay Gatsby that are mentioned at his parties.
13. What does the owl-eyed man find fascinating in Gatsby’s library?
14. Who is Mr. Wolfsheim, and what about him is extremely unusual?
15. What crime does Gatsby say that Mr. Wolfsheim committed?
16. What does Nick learn about Daisy and Gatsby?
17. How does the phrase “Money can’t buy happiness” seem to fit this novel?
18. Describe Daisy and Gatsby’s first meeting.
19. How does the weather in the chapter concerning their meeting reflect the emotional climate
of Daisy and Jay?
20. Who is James Gatz, and why does he change his name?
21. Who are Dan Cody and Ella Kaye?
22. What does Gatsby tell Nick he wants Daisy to do?
23. What hypocritical remark does Tom make after Gatsby makes an effort to flaunt the fact that he
and Daisy know each other?
24. Explain the significance of the letter that Daisy had received in her past.
25. What was the real reason for all the parties that Gatsby would throw?
26. Why does Gatsby stop throwing the parties?
27. Why is Myrtle upset when she sees Tom and Jordan in Gatsby’s car?
28. What has George Wilson learned about Mrytle?
29. Why is George planning on selling his car to Tom as soon as possible?
30. What happens to Myrtle?
31. What happens to Gatsby?
32. Who was responsible for both?
33. Why is Nick left to handle all the arrangements in the end?
34. What does the telephone call from Slagle tell us about Gatsby’s business?
35. What kinds of “friends” did Gatsby truly have?
For additional help, please refer to the following links: