Job Title: Customer Relations (Employer) Manager
Reports to: Head of Customer Relations
Direct Reports: Client Relationship Managers, WI Team, New
Purpose of the Job: To develop and manage the delivery of a high
quality client relationship management to decision-
making employers in line with business objectives.
To deliver high quality, results-based management
of employer-based development projects
Areas of Responsibility:
1. To develop and take ownership of the Trust’s vision, Business Plan
and values, and along with the team, be totally committed to these.
2. To develop engagement throughout the team through motivational
management, so that all members are able to fulfil their potential and
achieve the team’s aims and objectives.
3. To develop the client-facing (including business development) skills of
Implementation of Strategy
4. To develop the Team’s customer-intimate strategy for delivering
service to employers in centralised schemes operated by the Trust.
5. Develop and maintain partnerships with multi-employer clients in order
to support their relationship with the Trust, liaising with own clients,
advising on all matters pertaining to the Trust and its schemes.
6. To manage strategic projects for the Trust, covering areas of growth
and development of existing and potential customers.
7. To manage budgets for the team and any projects (and, where
appropriate, clients) within agreed levels.
Projects and Growth
8. To manage projects and resources to enhance the reputation and
growth of the Trust’s multi-employer schemes.
9. To manage, in conjunction with the Marketing Executive, the team’s
development of centralised employer new business opportunities at the
Trust, including any related communications programmes and
10. To manage, in conjunction with the Communications and Customer
Relations Support Team, the effective delivery of the Trust’s
11. To act as a source of technical expertise to employee and employer
members on technical issues in relation to the client relationship
management role and (in conjunction with sources of technical
expertise available) coordinate the development of all client-facing
managers at The Pensions Trust.
12. To act as Account Executive for one of the Trust’s industry-wide multi-
employer arrangements, ensuring the delivery of a first-class service to
the scheme’s (Managing) Pensions Committee, drawing on internal
and external technical resources as necessary.
13. To suggest, develop and implement improvements to the Trust’s
service on the basis of both the Trust’s Customer Satisfaction
Improvement Programme and customer feedback forums.
14. To represent the Trust as required and to act as an ambassador of the
Trust at all times
15. To perform all duties in line with the Trust’s Information Security policy.
Requirements of First Twelve Months:
1. (Team Management) The successful transition of people management
of team members from LA, SW, BW and PB.
2. (Team Management) The integration of client relationship management
function for centralised schemes, including unifying the (currently
separate) roles of:
Client Relationship Managers and Administrators,
Client Manager (Scheme Secretary for SFHA Pension Scheme),
New Business Manager,
New Business Co-ordinator and
WI Team manager and team.
3. (Implementation of Strategy) The creation of the Trust’s service
proposition for centralised employers, including the determination of
when we should be customer intimate and when we should be
4. (Implementation of Strategy) The development of a successful
relationship between opportunities and growth (Marketing to selling),
demonstrated by successful lead development and conversion.
5. (Projects and Growth) The successful project management of auto-
enrolment projects in the Ops Plan 2010/11. Namely: the use of a
staging tool for top 3000 charities (currently underway); the
assessment of growth potential among member organisations; and the
likely growth choice of member organisations.
6. (Projects and Growth) The development of project proposals (business
cases and mandates) for auto-enrolment projects from 2011 onwards.
7. (Customer Service) The development of a work-recording mechanism
to operate in conjunction with the Trust’s customer feedback process.
8. (Customer Service) The establishment of a strong working relationship
with the SFHA Pensions Committee and its chair.
9. (Customer Service) The short-listing of the Trust for the National
Customer Service Awards (customer Service Team – B2B).
Name of candidate…………………… Name of interviewers…………………
Performance & Essential Desirable Evidence Evidence Score
Job & Technical 5 years experience of 3 years Experience
Factors Occupational pension of Team
knowledge, skills and schemes, including Management
experience administration Knowledge of the
Experience of Trusts Business
Management Knowledge of the
Strong Project Social Housing
Management skills Pension Scheme
Knowledge of pension PMI Qualified
schemes (DB, DC, Knowledge of The
CARE) Pensions Trust
Pursuing PMI products and
A desire to improve Experience of Asset
continually Liability exercises
Ability to communicate Knowledge of
and influence at the investment strategy
highest levels and actuarial
Able to give effective principles
presentations Knowledge and
Driving license experience of
and other aspects of
at the individual and
Engaged Behaviour Able to inspire others. Maintains positive
taking responsibility, Takes responsibility for relationships with
can do approach, driving projects through internal and external
enthusiasm, to completion. parties
supportive, Embraces and develops Experience of
questions, takes change at all levels successful change
pride in work, Is positive to others management/
about change business
Demonstrates a ‘can do’ reengineering in the
approach pensions sector.
Is positive and
enthusiastic about their
work and working for the
Values Acts in line with our values:
Systems and Highly effective project A desire to
Processes management challenge and
follows processes, Aware of The Pensions improve upon
improves processes, Trust financial current processes
plans work, risk processes Experience of
awareness Able to think through the initiating and
effects of actions and managing change
Highly risk and safety
Customer Care Considerable Experience of
team worker, experience of working in developing
professionalism, customer focused customer focused
communication environments environments
Empathetic Good negotiating
Good listener skills
Performance Able to set high
Factors standards for self and
Achieves targets, manage meaningful
high productivity and targets for team
work quality Demonstrates high
A desire to work to the
best of ones ability
Ability to work to strict
Risk and Health and
Compliant with rules
Aware of cost of own
approach and manner
People Able to motivate Experience of
management team/others to achieve developing a high
Manages, supports the Trust’s goals. performing team
and develops team, Manages team Successfully
manages work, performance and Managing change in
manages resources resources effectively, a team
has a consistent and fair Experience of
approach coaching others
Positive attitude to their Able to devise and
role, team and implement effective
organisation team targets
A good ambassador for Effectively conducts
the team internally and one to ones each
externally month and follows
Supports, motivates and up agreed actions
leads the team and Trains and develops
individuals, makes team the team, coaches,
feel valued mentors and
Delegates, identifies assesses training
and agrees tasks, needs
measures output and
Can help and enable
team with challenges
effectively to and on
behalf of the team,
questions and actively
listens to team