COUNCIL - PERSON SPECIFICATION
Job Title: System Administrator ...............................................................Post Number : New Post .............................................
Directorate : Environment Section/Location : Information Monitoring and Research ....................................... .
Method of Assessment
CRITERIA Application Other
Essential Desirable Form Interview
Skills & Abilities
Good literacy/numeracy skills E
Professional integrity/ability to work within the Data Protection principals E
Report writing ability E
A good communicator with good presentation skills E
Ability to work on own or within a team E
Organised with a commitment to quality E
Able to cope with pressure E
An effective and efficient worker E
Inventive and Creative thinker D
Minimum 2 years post qualification experience in web management, web development E
or information management
An knowledge of web site design and web site management E
An understanding of computerised information systems E
Proven knowledge of Internet procedures and protocols E
Familiarity with database and spreadsheet software in particular its application to E
problems solving and information provision
HTML or appropriate web language skills E
Familiarity with Mapping Software D
Experience of producing and interpreting management Information and quality D
Education, Training and Qualifications
A degree or education to NVQ Level 4 in IT, Social Science, Statistics, Web Design or E
Eligible for membership of a professional institute D
A management qualification D
Professional appearance and confident manner E
Professional integrity E
Commitment to completing tasks E
Supportive of the Councils Equal Opportunities Policy E
Car driver D
Local knowledge D
Interest in Technology D
An interest in town planning D
An interest in IT, web development, mapping and statistics D
POST TITLE: System Administrator
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Research Officer
To administer and provide day to day management of the LIS web site and to assist Information
Monitoring and Research staff and members of partner organisations in the maintenance and
visualisation of information, data and mapping.
This job profile is a guide to the work that you will initially be required to undertake. It may be altered
from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment.
1. To manage the LIS back office system to assure maximum availability and seamless access to LIS
partners and the general public.
2. To provide technical support and training to LIS partners.
3. To manage, monitor and maintain the metadata model and ensure compliance with the latest
government eGMS and other standards.
4. To provide technical support to partners for the provision of information to the Nesstar and GDC
Mapping components of the web site.
5. To provide regular management information to the LIS Development Group on the operation of the
6. To monitor the site to assure compliance with site protocols.
7. To liase with site hosts and our development consortium members to resolve adhoc issues.
8. To assist in the maintenance of the LIS Home pages
9. To assist with the maintenance of datasets supported by the LIS section.
10. To develop and maintain an LIS Newsletter.
11. To promote the LIS web site and represent the LIS at various meetings, promotions etc.
12. To assist in maintaining OS Mapping themes and base information on the web site.
13. To monitor and review LIS type web sites reviewing best practice and making recommendations
for future enhancements and system reviews.
14. To establish and manage an LIS user group.
15. To write and maintain a comprehensive system manual.
16. To provide user-friendly advice documents on site protocols, and uploading information, data and
mapping to the site.
17. Provide day to day management of the Technical Assistant Electronic Service Delivery to assure
information across the LIS is captured in a timely and efficient manner.
DATE: February 2005 PREPARED BY: LIS Manager