CBM008 is reported 2 times per fiscal year in the fall and spring.
Preliminary Process for all reports to THECB:
At the beginning of each fiscal year, OIRE submits two Information Technology Service
Reports (ITSR) to the Computer Center:
1. For approval for OIRE to request HR–Team to run THECB report programs on
request during the current fiscal year.
2. For maintenance for the THECB report programs.
Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness (OIRE) informs HR-Team in
Computer Center, Office of Human Resources (OHR) and the Office of the Provost of
any changes in reporting procedures mandated by the Texas Higher Education
Coordinating Board (THECB).
Pre-CBM008 Report Process Begins:
Process begins after 12th Class Day and forced drops. *No e-mail sent from THECB to remind
UTPA to get process started. Due date is listed in Reporting and Procedure Manual.
Isabel in HR-Team suggests that we add a procedure to compare faculty set up in the
Student System with faculty in the HR System prior to running the CB report. It would
go in the steps above.
Semester CBM008 Process Begins:
Process begins on 20th class day.
1. Provost’s Office sends faculty Memorandums of Appointment and Memorandums
of Employment to Office of Human Resources (OHR) by 20th class day.
2. OIRE requests SI-Team in the Computer Center to run the CBM004 Class Report
program. The CBM008 cannot run until the CBM004 has run.
3. OIRE requests HR-Team in Computer Center to run the CBM008YYYYT
program and to send flat file and delimited file.
4. HRT transfers flat file (EJ_YCBR_PAU) and delimited file (EB_YCB_RP1) to
OIRE IA account.
5. OIRE formally receives flat file and delimited file.
If there are errors on the file:
6. OIRE creates an error report in Excel.
7. OIRE sends the error report to OHR.
8. OHR manually corrects errors and sends back to OIRE.
9. OIRE contacts Provost’s Office for non-paid faculty that OHR has no record of.
10. Provost’s Office provides information for non-paid faculty to OIRE.
11. OIRE makes edit changes directly to flat file.
If there are no errors on the file:
Internal OIRE Process:
12. OIRE creates a header and trailer on the flat file using the following process:
a) Open EJ_YCBR_PAU using Notepad
Ed has a C++ program called CBM Transfer Interface to help expedite the process of
placing a header and trailer as well as numbering the lines on the flat file.
b) Continue to follow the steps on page 0.4 in the Reporting and Procedures
Manual to create a header and a trailer.
12. OIRE drags the flat file from the hard drive into the CBM008 folder.
13. OIRE renames the file CBM008YYYYMMDD and date when loaded.
14. OIRE connects to THECB (EDC) server: EDC.THECB.STATE.TX.US using
FTP Host Address: EDC.THECB.STATE.TX.US
FTP Site User: 003599 (UPTA FICE #)
Click on Connect.
15. OIRE finds the CBM008YYYYMMDD file located on the hard drive in the
16. OIRE clicks on CBM008YYYYMMDD file and drags to THECB server on the
right in the “INPUT” directory.
17. THECB sends an e-mail of File Receipt Confirmation to OIRE to give
verification that THECB has received the data.
If THECB receives the file before 4:00 PM, they will respond within 1
hour with an e-mail giving verification that the data was received. If file
arrives after 4:00 PM, THECB will send verification by the next day.
If header and trailer are NOT correct:
18. OIRE corrects header and trailer on CBM008YYYYMMDD. Repeat steps 11
through 17 until there are no problems with the header trailer.
If header and trailer are correct:
19. THECB sends e-mail to OIRE saying edits made by THECB are on the THECB
If OIRE does not receive e-mail from THECB notifying OIRE that the Edit Report
is on the server:
20. OIRE calls THECB to find out why.
After OIRE receives e-mail from THECB:
21. OIRE retrieves the Edit Report from the “OUTPUT” directory on the THECB
server using SFTP.
If there are errors:
22. OIRE annotates Edit Report of corrections for OHR to make.
23. OIRE sends annotated paper copy of Edit Report to OHR.
24. OHR uses annotated Edit Report to make changes on paper copy and sends it
back to OIRE.
25. OIRE contacts individual colleges for other errors.
26. OIRE corrects CBM008YYYYMMDD flat file.
27. OIRE sends corrected CBM008YYYYMMDD back to THECB.
28. Repeat steps 11 thru 21 until CBM008 has “0” errors and questionable errors are
If there are NO errors on the Edit Report and all questionable errors are okay:
29. OIRE sends an e-mail to Alison Ingram at THECB to certify CBM008.
30. THECB certifies CBM008 and posts “Certified” on the THECB web site.
Marcelo Paredes – Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Linda Helgeson – Office of Human Resources
Office of the Provost
Isabel Reyna – Human Resources Team