Service: Environmental Health Post Title: Team Leader
Post Number: EH029
Responsible to: Environmental Services Manager
Responsible for: 8 x Environmental Wardens
SECTION THREE – Overall purpose of job
1. To provide an effective enforcement service, advise and give guidance on
environmental health matters commensurate with the level of responsibility, in
particular relating to environmental crime (dog fouling, littering, fly-tipping,
abandoned and untaxed vehicles etc.), statutory nuisance, parking enforcement,
and town centre markets; including research as necessary.
2. To ensure the effective set-up, operation and close down of Kettering
Borough Council Markets as well as additional market events
3. Supervise and develop employees within the team, ensure training and regular
appraisals take place, monitor and manage sickness absence
4. Continually develop and improve services in line with new opportunities and
legislation, reflecting the Council’s priorities and service culture.
5. To deputise for the Environmental Services Manager in respect of these services
as and when required.
6. To contribute to the development and implementation of cross-cutting initiatives, in
line with the Council’s “One Team” philosophy
SECTION FOUR – Principal Responsibilities
1. Day-to-day supervision of the Warden Services and in particular provide technical
guidance to other service units within the Council and other Officers within
Environmental Health, as determined by the Environmental Services Manager.
2. Deliver the Council’s enforcement responsibilities under the Clean Neighbourhoods
and Environment Act 2005 as determined by the Environmental Services Manager
in accordance with relevant guidance, procedures and policies
3. Deliver the Council’s enforcement responsibilities under all other associated
Environmental Protection legislation as determined by the Environmental Services
Manager in accordance with relevant guidance, procedures and policies
4. Deliver the Council’s enforcement responsibilities under the Road Traffic
Regulation Act 1984, as relating of parking controls, as determined by the
Environmental Services Manager in accordance with relevant guidance, procedures
5. Deliver the Council’s responsibilities and policies for running of the
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday Markets, to enforce compliance
with the market terms and conditions and to effectively communicate
relevant issued to the Environmental Services Manager.
6. Gather evidence for formal action; prepare evidence for presentation in court and
give evidence in court where necessary.
7. Work with officers internally, and from other local authorities to develop relevant
education and enforcement campaigns.
8. Continually review relevant enforcement policies and procedures to ensure they
remain relevant and fit for purpose.
9. In conjunction with the Environmental Services Manager, prepare reports on
Warden Services issues for Council committees, Members, Service Unit Managers,
and other Senior Officers.
10. In conjunction with the Environmental Services Manager supervise and develop
employees within the team, ensure training and regular appraisals take place,
monitor and manage sickness absence
11. Assist in the compilation of statistics for statutory returns.
12. Maintain financial records ensuring compliance with Financial Regulations.
13. Maintain records of all activities undertaken by the Warden Services, including but
not exclusively records of enforcement activities, service request investigations,
and day to day team management.
14. To assist in the planning and promotion of relevant issues or campaigns,
including the delivery of talks to relevant bodies, exhibitions and displays at
15. To train colleagues & undertake training as required.
16. To deliver an effective and appropriate service to all service users, fairly and
17. Ensure compliance with all Council policies with particular reference to
health and safety, equal opportunities and communication.
18. The post holder may from time to time be required to carry out other duties
provided they are commensurate with the level of responsibility of the post
and within the abilities of the post holder.
19. The post holder will be required to work from time to time outside normal office
SECTION FIVE – Main levels of contact
Internal: Officers of the Council.
External: Members of the public.
Similar level of staff from other authorities.
SECTION SIX – Special features of the post
The post will require some programmed working outside normal office hours.
Essential user car allowance
Professional Fees paid, in accordance with Corporate Policy
Job Description prepared by: (Manager) …………………………… Date ……………………..
Approved by: (Personnel) …………………………………………… Date ……………………..
Agreed by: (Post holder) …………………………………………….. Date ……………………..