DCM Meeting � Web Services Portion

Document Sample
DCM Meeting � Web Services Portion Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                       IT – Enterprise Applications


                                        Meeting Minutes
Purpose: Data Steward Meeting
Date: June 16, 2003
Location: FREH 2-1
Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Agenda:
    Data Sharing – Peg
    DSS Access - Debby
    Data Classification - Debby
    Regional Representation - Debby
    Steward Updates – all
Invited: Susan Gothard, Nancy Grenard, Peg Jasper, Absent: Laurie Millar, Chris Maxwell, Monal Patel,
Paula Kayser, Chris Maxwell, Laurie Millar, Tammy Barb Stahura
Murray, Cindy Oneal, Monal Patel, Teresa Rohler,
Barb Stahura, Debby Upchurch




c7a7f06a-d72c-44d5-b5d2-ae11bea7361c.doc                                 Page 1 of 3
                                   9/14/2012
                                                                              IT – Enterprise Applications

Data Sharing-
Peg met with Brad Skiles regarding PUID and Data Sharing. Right now they both agree that I2A2 is the
place where the information needs to be shared from. Brad was supposed to meet with Nancy and Jeff
regarding the information that he and Peg discussed. The issues are bundled together. One of the issues
involves the Dashboard. With a Dashboard, everyone would be able to view all of the information, but the
info may not be able to be pulled out. The dashboard is not to be used for reporting purposes. We are waiting
to hear back from him on the results of that meeting.

One of the main issues is people are asking for more student information. There is a Data Distribution
mechanism that will allow data to be delivered to those that don’t have access. They then go to their data
steward for the information. The policy has always been that the information cannot be shared.

Rob Stanfield is now in charge of the PUID effort. He has written 2 documents. The first document says this
data is available and can be shared for specific reasons. The second document deals with the application of
the data and how it can be used. Also, how the data will be distributed. He is still working on the wording of
these 2 documents, so they are not complete yet.

IT has been distributing PUID to those that have asked for it. There is still a question of the Stewardship of
PUID.

We are looking for some overall issues, across all the Data Stewards, of the needs and concerns regarding
PUID.

Active Directory - the Active Directory is Microsofts answer to Netware Directory Services.
Question: Can you log-in and get information on objects? Yes
Question: Will this replace Novell? Yes

The social security number is expected to be removed as the primary key from all systems in approximately 5
years. Clean up of PUID is expected by March 2004.

DSS Access
Debby informed the group of the necessity to audit data warehouse access, privileges, and usage for each area
and is encouraging the Data Stewards to do the same in an effort to increase data security and quality. A
template was distributed to the group. Tammy stated Cheri creates a monthly report of all the data warehouse
users by area. However, Cheri does not provide student information.

**Tammy will verify with Cheri as to who is on the monthly data warehouse usage report distribution list.
**Debby will check with Barb Stahura about obtaining student information.




c7a7f06a-d72c-44d5-b5d2-ae11bea7361c.doc                                        Page 2 of 3
                                   9/14/2012
                                                                             IT – Enterprise Applications

Data Classification
Debby asked the Data Stewards to review the Data Classification documents for their particular areas and
submit any updates. The goal is to have all documents reviewed and the web site updated by the end of the
summer. To address a concern raised by Dan Collins from Internal Audit, Signatures will be added as an item
under Supporting Documents on the Financial Aid Data Classification. The Data Handling matrix does not
need to be reviewed at this time. In addition, Paula will review the Data Access Rights document and
resubmit it for publication on the web site.

**Paula will review the Data Access Rights document and submit to Debby.
Regional Representation
Debby is raising the issue of Regional campus and academic representation at the Data Steward meetings.
With the move toward collaboration between the WL campus and the regional campuses as well as with the
academic areas, the current makeup of the Data Stewards lack their perspective. The Data Stewards are well
represented on the WL Administrative side.

**Debby will have further discussions with Brad as direction for future initiatives becomes clearer.
Steward Updates
Debby-
    SAS/Share Usage Report – Everyone should be receiving this report and it appears to be addressing
       the need.
Tammy-
    G/B review – IT is circulating the charter for encryption
    The Ariba QA server was compromised twice in May. This raised the issue of a having two firewalls,
       one to protect Purdue from the outside and the other separating the Administrative area from the
       Student area.
    Paula Kayser commented that there is a Campus Firewall Committee that she is a part of. They have
       recently sent out 3 RFP’s and are waiting on responses from those vendors. They have the funding for
       this project and they hope to have a firewall set up in 3 different areas.
    Pagecenter – They are looking into training issues regarding the new upgrade. She asked if anyone
       had someone that needed training. Paula indicated she had one person.
Paula-
    The new Senior Administrator for Administrative Support and Auxiallary Services in Physical
       Facilities is John Gleeson.
Next Meeting: Monday, July 16, 2003 11:00-12:00 FREH 2-1

Open Issues: No Open Issues

Action Items:
1.   Tammy will verify with Cheri as to who is on the monthly data warehouse usage report distribution list.
2.   Debby will check with Barb Stahura about obtaining student information on a monthly usage report.
3.   Paula will review the Data Access Rights document and submit to Debby.
4.   Debby will have further discussions with Brad as direction for future initiatives becomes clearer.

c7a7f06a-d72c-44d5-b5d2-ae11bea7361c.doc                                       Page 3 of 3
                                   9/14/2012

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:9/14/2012
language:Latin
pages:3