COURSE NO., HOURS, AND TITLE: HCM 390-3 Managing Human Resources
& Labor Relations in Health Care
This course introduces students to the major issues related to developing and
implementing human resource management strategies, with specific emphasis on their
applications within health care organizations. Emphasis in the course will be given to
issues related to the following aspects of human resource management: The strategic role
of human resource management in health care organizations; recruiting and selecting
health care employees; equal opportunity issues; orienting, training, and developing
employees; appraising and managing performance; ensuring fair treatment of all
employees; providing a safe workplace; developing and administering compensation
plans; managing labor relations; and implementing HRM’s role in re-engineering
processes. Incorporated within the course is an explanation of the human resource
functions that is part of all health care managers’ responsibilities. May be independent
study. Prerequisite: HCM 364. Restricted to Health Care Management major or minor.
PREREQUISITE TO: None
1. Define human resources management and explain its role in formulating
and executing health care organizations overall strategic plans.
2. Identify and give examples of the HRM responsibilities of line and staff
managers in health care organizations.
3. Cite major laws that address and prohibit specific discriminatory
personnel management practices in recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer,
layoffs, and benefits and know how to avoid employment discrimination
4. Identify job analysis processes, job descriptions and exercise employment
5. Identify the overall selection process including tests, interviews, and
6. Identify employee training and development needs.
7. Gain knowledge of the various styles of performance appraisals systems.
8. Identify and discuss the roles, contributions and influences different
groups of health professionals have on the U.S. health care system
9. Identify and explain factors which influence utilization of health care
10. Give a brief history of the American labor movement and understand
11. Explain the basic requirements of OSHA and ways to deal with important
occupations health problems in health care organizations.
12. Discuss ways to train and maintain a diverse workforce.
I. Strategic Human Resource Management 5%
II. Healthcare Workforce Planning/Budgeting, Workloads, 15%
and Turnover Analysis
III. Healthcare Professionals and Trends in the Workforce 5%
IV. The Legal Environment of Human Resource Management including 25%
ADA, FMLA, Civil Rights Act, HIPAA, etc.
V. Workforce Diversity 5%
VI. Job Analysis, Job Design, including Job Description development 15%
VII. Recruitment, Selection, and Retention 10%
VIII. Organizational Development and Training 5%
IX. Performance Management and Employee Evaluation 5%
X. Organized Labor and Unions 5%
XI. Compensation and Benefits 5%
Fried, B. J., Fottler, M.D., & Johnson, J.A., (2005.). Human resources in healthcare:
Managing for success. (3rd ed.). Chicago: Health Administration Press.