What’s So Great about America – Chapter 2
1. D’Souza often refers to the “West.” What is the West?
2. Define “ethnocentrism.”
3. According to D’Souza America is unique because it “transcends” ethnocentrism.
Give an example of how America has done so.
4. What country was at one time one of the greatest (leaders in astronomy,
inventions: printing, gun powder, the compass) and sought not to learn from
other countries but rather to show their own greatness?
5. Define “colonialism.”
6. According to D’Souza slavery is not distinctively Western. What is distinctively
Western according to him?
7. Ironically, what foreign group protested the end of slavery in America?
8. What inference can be made from Ali’s comments regarding his visit to Africa?
9. According to D’Souza why is colonialism a two-sided coin (both good and bad)?
10. D’Souza says that the “West became the dominant civilization in the modern era
. . . because it invented three institutions: science, democracy, capitalism.”
Discuss a reason for each.