Name of Grant Program: Adult Basic Education Fund Code: 359
English Literacy and Civics Education
PART III - REQUIRED PROGRAM INFORMATION
Please respond to the following requests and/or questions in narrative form in the Part III -
Required Information section of the SMARTT Program Planning Module.
1. Describe how the program has linked ESOL instruction to civics education emphasizing the rights and
responsibilities of citizenship, the naturalization process, civic participation, and United States History
and government. Highlight particularly effective practices and resources you have developed.
2. Describe the activities being proposed for FY2011 that will address civics education.
3. Describe the role that students, program staff, and other community members have in developing the
curriculum and lesson plans. Describe how the program will align its curriculum with the
Massachusetts ABE/ESOL Curriculum Frameworks.
4. Describe any collaborations that the program has developed with groups and organizations that
provide naturalization and other support to immigrants.
5. Describe briefly how the program is going to respond to the changing needs in the community caused
by the economic downturn. Some examples include:
a. intensive classes (9 hours or more);
b. next steps programming (e.g. job skills training, etc.); and
c. collaborations with other partners (Career Centers, businesses, etc.) to provide more intensive