JOB DESCRIPTION (POST REF: HR26)
JOB TITLE: Welsh Language Assistant/Translator (Part-time)
GRADE & SALARY: Grade 4 £19,972 - £23,121 pro rata
(in addition a market supplement of up to 15% of salary may be
offered, dependant upon placement on the salary scale)
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE TO: Welsh Language Scheme Facilitator
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To help promote the Welsh language and to provide high quality Welsh translations for the
University’s website and other documentation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To assist the Welsh Language Scheme Facilitator in the implementation of the
University’s Welsh Language Scheme, and to become involved in other Welsh language
project work, as required.
2. To be the key contact for all the University’s Welsh language translations.
3. To maintain a continuous, accurate and high level of translation, and develop and
maintain effective liaison with colleagues in the University in relation to the website and
4. To be responsible for the development and maintenance of the Welsh language
5. To develop contacts and liaise with external translators and translation agencies.
6. To adhere to all relevant policies and the appropriate corporate style in all areas of your
7. To develop and maintain an internal ‘Directory of Terms’ appropriate to the University.
1. To maintain professional standards of work relationships, including non-discriminatory
2. To deal promptly and with consideration with individuals external to the University,
members of the public, staff and students.
3. To maintain confidentiality at all times in connection with the work of the HR department.
1. To review performance and identify areas for improvement.
2. To be reviewed under the Staff Appraisal and Professional Development Scheme.
3. To discharge of relevant Health and Safety responsibilities.
4. To maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion expected of a professional
5. To carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested by the Welsh Language
Scheme Facilitator and the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Human Resources).
* School/Department Website Officers * Welsh Translation Providers
* Web Team staff
* Publications Officer (Online and Print)
* Other staff
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such duties
may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or level of
responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot in themselves
justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.
PERSON SPECIFICATION POST REF: HR26
Education/Qualifications * Translation experience * A member of
and Special Training and/or qualification Cymdeithas Cyfieithwyr
Knowledge and Skills * Able to communicate * Experience of
effectively at all levels developing and
* Computer literate, and maintaining web pages
able to be self-sufficient
* Good organisational
and administrative skills
* Good communication
skills in both Welsh and
* Able to work to
deadlines and prioritise
* Committed to best
practice and customer
* Resilient, flexible and
able to use own initiative
* Positive and proactive
approach to problem
solving, while working
Experience * Experience of * Experience of working
translation work from at an administrative level
English to Welsh, and within a large
vice versa organisation
The University of Wales, Newport operates a Welsh Language Scheme which means that
the University treats the English and Welsh languages equally in compliance with the Welsh
Language Act of 1993.
As part of the University’s Welsh Language Skills Strategy this post was nominated as one
where the ability to work through the medium of Welsh is essential. You must be able to
read, write and speak Welsh fluently. This post will not be offered to those not fluent in
Welsh Language Assistant/Translator (0.5 FTE) £19,972 - £23,121 pro rata
(in addition a market supplement of up to 15% of salary may be offered, dependant upon
placement on the salary scale)
We’re looking for a Welsh Language Assistant/Translator with strong communication and IT
skills, who will be responsible for helping to promote the Welsh language at the University
and for translating a variety of the University’s documents, including our website. The ability
to work through the medium of Welsh is essential. 18.5 hours per week
To apply on-line, make your way to www.newport.ac.uk/jobs, or telephone (01633)
431362 to request an application pack, quoting the appropriate reference.
Closing date: 21st June at 12 noon. Ref: HR26