SAMPLE QUESTION PAPER
Entrance Test for Admission to
Maximum Marks: 100 Time: 60 Minutes
(i) This question booklet comprises of 50 questions.
(ii) Each question has four options (a), (b), (c) and (d) out of which one is correct.
The candidate is required to darken completely the correct option in the OMR
Answer Sheet supplied separately.
(iii) Each correct answer carries 2 marks.
(iv) No negative marking.
(v) Rough work may be done in this question booklet itself.
(vi) The question booklet along with the OMR answer sheet is to be handed over
by the candidate to the invigilator at the end of the examination.
20 sample questions are given below for reference. In the entrance exam, 50
multiple choice questions of similar nature, and not the same question, will be
1. Who is the goddess of witchcraft in Macbeth?
(a) Aphrodite (b) Mordred
(c) Minerva (d) Hecate
2. Who jokes that he works at ‘hell gate’?
(a) Macbeth (b) Macduff
(c) The Porter (d) Duncan
3. “The stone fidelity they hardly meant has come to be their final blazon.” This line
has been extracted from which poem from The Eternal Muse?
(a) Ode on Solitude (b) Dover Beach
(c) The Wild Swans at Coole (d) An Arundel Tomb
4. “The hair soft lifted by the winnowing wind.” The word winnowing is an
(a) Irony (b) Consonance
(c) Onomatopoeia (d) Assonance
5. Whitman’s “Come up from the Fields Father” is a :
(a) Dramatic Monologue (b) Narrative Poem
(c) Lyrical Poem (d) Sonnet
6. What was Parsuram’s curse for Karna ?
(a) that he will die in Chakravyuh
(b) his own people will kill him
(c) hr’ll forget mantra to use Bhrammastra in battlefield
(d) None of the above
7. What was the ‘marvelous truth’ that the monk taught to Prakriti?
(a) Man is immortal
(b) All people are equal in the eyes of God
(c) Girls should obey their parents
(d) Life is a unresolved mystery
8. “The General Massacre of Gold” is an extract from ‘ The Vanity of Human
Wishes” by :
(a) John Dryden (b) Samuel Johnson
(c) Alexander Pope (d) Samuel Richardson
9. ‘Nutting by Wordsworth is example of :
(a) Dramatic monologue (b) Autobiographical poem
(c) Interior monologue (d) Narrative poem
10. “He gives his harness bells a shake / To ask if there is some mistake.” What
poetic device has been used here by Frost?
(a) Simile (b) Symbol
(c) Personification (d) Onomatopoeia
11. What gift did Nehru sent to the children of Japan?
(a) A horse (b) A bllock
(c) An Asian tiger (d) An elephant
12. What was the name of Culverton Smith’s nephew?
(a) Johan (b) Victor
(c) Hudson (d) Watson
13. What was the name of village priest in ‘That Pagli’ ?
(a) Dhania (b) Gurcharan
(c) Shamsher (d) Atma Ram
14. Look, a boy ----------------after the bus; he------------to catch it.
(a) is running, is wanting (b) runs, is wanting
(c) is running, wants (d) was running, was wanting
15. Which part of the following sentence contains an error?
(i) Unless (ii) he will tender (iii) an apology, I (iv) will not excuse him
(a) (i) (b) (ii)
(c) (iii) (d) (iv)
16. Which expression is appropriate, when you meet a friend who has lost his father?
(a) What a disaster! (b) It might have been worse!
(c) I’m so sorry! (d) Please don’t bother.
17. Choose the correct option for change of voice of the following sentence:
Women like men to flatter them.
a. Men are liked by women to flatter them.
b. Men flatter women to be liked by them.
c. Women like to be flattered by men.
d. They are liked by women to be flattered men.
18. Choose the correct equivalent for the underlined part:
He fell out with the girl he was going to marry.
(a) had an accident (b) went for an outing
(c) arranged a secret meeting (d) quarreled
19. He is reticent by nature, but his sister is------------------------
(a) belligerent (b) decent
(c) cognizant (d) garrulous
20. We ---------------------------our opponents by three goals to nil.
(a) beat (b) won over
(c) won (d) have won