Kuiper and Allan Chapter 2.1.6
• Prepositions do not inflect in English.
• Prepositions indicate relationships.
– primarily in time and space
– They relate something to something else, e.g.
something is in, on, under etc something else.
• e.g. by, with, for, behind, below, between, of etc
• They are a closed class, meaning you can’t
make up new ones.
• Identify the prepositions in the
– the statue by the rotunda
– the disappearance of the cash
– the circuit for mountain bikes
– skating on the lake
• There are other closed classes of words
which do not inflect.
• We will meet those when we look at
• Identify the grammatical category of
each underlined word in the following
– Joanna's pink Ducati completed the
journey from Malmö to Ravenna in just
under two days.