Common Scholarship and College Application Essay Prompts
Common Application Essay Prompts:
1. Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken or ethical
dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
2. Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its
importance to you.
3. Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that
4. Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure or a creative work (as in art,
music, science, etc) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.
5. A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds
much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an
experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college
community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.
Other Common Scholarship and College Admissions Essay Prompts:
1. What is special, unique, distinctive, and/or impressive about your life story?
2. What details of your life (personal or family problems, history, people or events that
have shaped you or influenced your goals?
3. What do you want to study and why? When did you become interested in this field
and what you learned about it that has further stimulated your interest and reinforced
your conviction that you are well suited for this field?
4. Are there any gaps or discrepancies in your academic record that you should explain
(rising GPA, a bad year, etc)?
5. Have you overcome any unusual obstacles or hardships (for example, economic,
familial, or physical) in your life?
6. Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of
study and your future goals.
7. From a financial standpoint, what impact would this scholarship have on your
8. State any special personal or family circumstances affecting your need for financial