Job Title: Finance and Operations Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Hours: 31.5 hours per week (up to 12 months maternity cover)
Salary: £28,000 per annum
Based: Naz Project London
Purpose of Job
To support the Chief Executive in achieving our strategic aims by leading and
managing all financial and operational aspects of Naz Project London, including
ensuring effective support for the successful delivery of all of our services and
activities internally and in our partner/consortia relationships.
To be a proactive finance partner for the Chief Executive, providing regular updates
on the financial position and prospects of NPL and working with her/him on financial
strategy and decision making.
To be responsible for improving current financial and operational systems as well as
developing new systems that ensure quality and service user satisfaction.
To work with the rest of the management team and the Chief Executive to ensure
that strategic objectives are met, through the annual planning and budgeting process
and in the day to day management of NPL operations.
To ensure that NPL meets all regulatory requirements, including Health & Safety and
To uphold the values and policies of the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To be part of the Senior Management Team.
2. To develop and review policies and procedures which affect NPL finance and
3. To prepare reports for the Board of Trustees on NPL finance and operations as
4. To have overall responsibility for NPL’s IT and telecommunications systems.
5. To be responsible for consistency in implementing NPL’s marketing and branding
policies and procedures across all services and activities.
6. To be responsible for the production of major events, including the AGM.
7. To ensure the smooth running of day to day activities including general admin.
1. To be responsible for ensuring financial controls are maintained and improved as
needed, including all aspects of financial record-keeping via QuickBooks, reconciling
bank statements, inputting information from petty cash vouchers, and making out and
tracking outgoing invoices to debtors. Preparing paperwork and cheques for payment
of incoming invoices may be delegated to the Office Administrator.
2. Drafting of organisational budgets, cash-flow forecast and preparation of financial
management reports monthly and as needed.
3. To ensure operational arrangements are in place to effectively support our
accounting, budgetary and finance reporting systems.
4. To manage all leases and contracts for central services and equipment, including
reviewing and re-tendering where necessary and identifying and establishing new
5. Control NPL’s insurance portfolio, regularly reviewing activities and ensuring cover
remains appropriate and that programme managers are aware of their
6. Develop project budgeting and reporting processes together with NPL’s
management team and to assist managers in monitoring project spend.
7. Provide information to support applications for funding and as required by funders
in regular monitoring and ad hoc queries.
8. Maintain contact with auditors, prepare final accounts for auditing, and ensure
timely completion of our annual financial audit.
9. Proposing and discussing changes and improvements to the company’s current
1. To ensure that all statutory requirements are adequately addressed.
2. To ensure NPL has robust service user feedback and complaints procedures.
3. To be responsible for the completion of statutory annual reports to the Charity
Commission and Companies House.
4. Human Resources
1. To lead on developing and implementing standardized approaches to recruitment
and induction including ensuring all staff are aware of the policies and procedures in
the Staff Handbook.
2. To ensure contracts for all new employees are prepared and signed off by the
appropriate senior manager.
3. To be responsible for all employee/personnel records, including annual and sick
leave, as well as professional development.
4. Ensure all staff are aware of staffing policies and procedures
5. To be responsible for the recruitment, induction, supervision, performance and
professional development of finance and operations staff and volunteers.
6. To assist the senior management team in ensuring that NPL implements its equal
opportunity policy consistently and fosters a work environment free of discrimination.
5. Personal effectiveness and professional development
1. To take responsibility for his/her own continuing professional development within
NPL’s management development goals.
6. Other duties
1. To perform work not specifically referred to above as reasonably requested by the
Degree calibre/equivalence Essential
Minimum of AAT accounting qualification or studying towards a professional Essential
qualification, e.g., ACCA, CIMA or similar
At least 2 years’ relevant management experience, including line management Desirable
At least 2 year’s hands-on all round experience, dealing with all aspects of financial Desirable
management in a small business setting, including budget management
IT literate, e.g. Microsoft Office software, databases Essential
Experience dealing with confidential matters Essential
Work or voluntary experience in a charity setting Desirable
Able to demonstrate the links between finance information and relevant business Essential
Exposure to one or more computerised accounting packages Essential
Expertise with QuickBooks Desirable
Some knowledge of not for profit organisations and small companies’ statutory Essential
Understanding of personnel/HR policy and related issues Essential
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and telephone manner Essential
Able to work flexibly, including evening work when required Essential
Able to work as part of a team Essential
Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize own workload Essential
Fluency in one NPL community language other than English Desirable
Understanding of BME sexual health and HIV issues Desirable
Interest, empathy and passion for improving BME sexual health Essential
Knowledge of Health & Safety and Data Protection regulations Desirable
Commitment to professional development and growth Essential
A self-starter, with the ability to indentify and implement operational improvements in Essential