WOODLAWN HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR MEETING 2012
GRADUATION PROCEDURES AND FINAL INSTRUCTIONS
***Best wishes to the class of 2012 as you approach another milestone in your life!!!
1. ALL DEBTS must be cleared before caps and gowns will be issued. Pay debts and get a receipt to show to Ms. White so
she can clear you from the Master Debt List which is in the Reception Office. Caps & gowns will not be issued to any
senior who has debts (or does not have proof of payment). You may check with Mrs. Rogers or Ms. White for the
Debt List. It is your responsibility to check with your teachers, coaches, the library, and club sponsors for any
additional debts this semester.
2. CAP & GOWN and REPORT CARD PICK-UP: Friday, May 11th (8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.) – Pick up cap & gown and
report card after all debts have been cleared. (Tables will be set up in foyer area near front entrance- directly in front
of main office). You must wear your school uniform & I.D. in order to receive your graduation items. NO EXCEPTIONS
3. REPORT CARD ERRORS: If there is a grade error on your report card, please see Mrs. Patty Collins in the Guidance
Office for a Grade Correction Form on May 11th. Deadline for Teacher to return Grade Correction Form to Mrs. P.
Collins, Guidance Office: 12:00 Noon, Friday, May 11, 2012.
4. REHEARSAL REQUIRED: No excuses, please! There will be a mandatory practice held at Healing Place Church at
9:00 AM on May 14th. Students will be given their seating charts, and we will practice marching. Please be
prompt for ALL REHEARSALS!!!!
5. GRADUATION: Monday, May 14, 2012 – * Seniors arrive at Healing Place Church (4:45 p.m.) – Report to the
arena properly dressed in your cap and gown.
The GRADUATION CEREMONY will start promptly at 6:00 p.m.
6. DRESS: The Graduation ceremony is a serious and dignified occasion. Seniors should look and dress their best.
Guidelines are listed below for you to plan what to wear under your gown:
BOYS: Dress shirt with a collar and a tie. Dress slacks. Shoes should be appropriate for a dressy occasion – no
sandals, tennis shoes, crocks, or combat boots. Absolutely, NO JEANS…NO SHORTS, NO EARRINGS!
GIRLS: Your dress should not be longer than the length of the graduation gown. Be sure that you wear dress shoes of
appropriate color (black, brown, silver or white) since the gown is purple. You should wear shoes that are comfortable
and easy to walk in. Absolutely no beach sandals, slipper shoes, shoes that light up, shoes that resemble Crocs,
ballet slipper/ shoes, flip-flops, or any shoe that resembles them! You will be climbing several steps in order to
reach the stage. Please walk gracefully and with poise so that you do not fall or trip on the stage.
Do not bring your purses to graduation. We cannot be responsible for the loss of your valuables.
OTHER: Do NOT wear sunglasses or write on the top of your hat. No sequins or any other embellishments on your cap
7. TASSEL: The tassel is worn on the RIGHT side of your cap BEFORE you graduate. We will turn our tassels together—
as a class—after all diplomas are issued.
8. HONOR PATCHES from Beta and National Honor Society are the only patches that can be sewn on the stole. You will
receive the patches from your club sponsor. The patches should be placed on the part of the stole across from the year
(2012). Try to center it attractively. If you have two patches, National Honor Society should be placed above the Beta
patch. Honor Seals will be placed on the diplomas.
9. CELL PHONES: PLEASE, put all pagers or cell phones on silent mode!!!
10. NO GUM/TOBACCO: Please do NOT chew gum or tobacco.
Seniors 2012 FINAL INSTRUCTIONS 1
11. NO DRINKING BEFORE GRADUATION, PLEASE! ANYONE WHOSE BEHAVIOR IN ANY WAY INDICATES THAT
HE/SHE CONSUMED ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OR DRUGS PRIOR TO THE GRADUATION CEREMONY WILL NOT
BE ALLOWED TO MARCH WITH THE CLASS.
12. GRADUATION PHOTOS: Musemeche Photography will take a photo of each graduate receiving his or her diploma. You
will receive a small proof and will not be obligated to buy.
13. PHOTOS/VIDEOS: No pictures or Video filming may be taken from the ground floor where the graduates are seated
during the ceremony. If parents plan to video parts of the ceremony from the upstairs area, please remember to be
courteous to other people trying to view the graduates.
14. PARKING: Parking is available near the church.
15. HANDICAPPED SEATING: If you have a family member or friend in a wheelchair, please tell them there is a
handicapped area for them downstairs. ONLY ONE OTHER PERSON IS ALLOWED TO SIT WITH THE
HANDICAPPED PERSON IN THE HANDICAPPED AREA – space is limited. ***TICKETS MUST BE OBTAINED
FROM MS. ROGERS. Proof of disability must be confirmed. Family Members will NOT be allowed on the ground
floor without the tickets! Again, SEATING IS LIMITED!!!
16. SECURITY: Security has been hired to maintain order in the audience. Parents and friends are requested not to
bring any type of noisemakers. Deputies are hired to remove any person who disrupts the ceremony. Your cooperation
is needed in this matter. As we stated before, the graduation ceremony is a serious and dignified occasion. It is NOT
a pep rally. Let’s show that Woodlawn has a lot of “class.”
17. BALLOONS: Parents and friends are requested not to bring balloons inside Healing Place Church. This blocks the view
of others. Please be considerate of others.
18. DIPLOMA ERROR: If there is a mistake on your diploma, bring the diploma to Mrs. Collins in the Guidance Dept. by
2:00 p.m. the day after graduation for corrections.
19. FINAL TRANSRIPTS: Hard copies of final official transcripts will be available in the guidance office after June 1st.
The school board office will send electronic transcripts to the state by June 15th. After June 15th, the TOPS Offfice
and Louisiana colleges & universities will access your final transcript electronically. If you plan to attend college out-of-
state or need a final transcript sent to the NCAA Clearinghouse please complete a Final Transcript Request Form and
return to Ms. Berry in the Guidance Office (or to Mrs. P. Collins this morning).
20. FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT GRADUATE: Contact Jostens (928-5502) for information on refunds. You must apply
for a refund within 2 weeks of your scheduled graduation date. Mrs.P.Collins can provide an official letter for Jostens if
requested. Personalized items are NOT refundable. You must pick up your cap and gown on May 11th even if you will not
graduate in May. Jostens will ship all supplies and caps and gowns back to their warehouse after May 22 nd. You could sell
your WHS announcements to other WHS seniors who need additional ones. Jostens does have additional graduation
announcements that may be purchased for a small fee per announcement. Remember: Senior Dues are non-refundable.
Ms. P. Collins will issue summer school permits & summer graduation packets beginning May 21 st.
NOTE: No one has enough time to challenge these guidelines. Avoid the HASSLE! The Graduation ceremony
will be OVER if you are not within the dress code and need to return home for additional shoes, ties, shirts,
etc. If anyone needs assistance in securing any required items (ties, etc.) in order to meet dress code, please
see Mrs. Collins or Mrs. Rogers. Just do the RIGHT thing if you plan to participate in this ceremony.
PARTICIPATION IS YOUR CHOICE
*THE SENIOR SPONSORS, FACULTY, AND ADMINISTRATION AT WOODLAWN HIGH SCHOOL WISH EACH OF YOU ALL OF
THE SUCCESS AND HAPPINESS LIFE HAS TO OFFER!
Seniors 2012 FINAL INSTRUCTIONS 2
Monday, April 30th - SENIOR BREAKFAST – WHS Cafeteria (sponsored by PTSA)
Report to class for roll call. Mr. Newman will announce when to report.
SENIOR EXAMS GIVEN AT THE SCHEDULED TIME ONLY
Tuesday, May 1st - 7th hour EXAM. (Follow your regular schedule for the day.)
Wednesday, May 2nd - 1st and 2nd hour EXAMS (Follow your regular schedule for the day.)
Thursday, May 3rd - 3rd and 4th hour EXAMS (Report 3rd period & follow regular schedule rest of day)
Friday, May 4th - 5th and 6th hour EXAMS (Attend class for exam hours only)
Seniors: Please clean out lockers after your last exam.
Friday, MAY 11th – CAP & GOWN AND REPORT CARD PICK-UP from Mrs. Rogers
(8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.) Debts must be cleared first!
(Tables will be set up outside the Reception Area in front of main office. Enter through the
main front entrance of the school – NOT through the doors in the 800 hall near the gym area).
Note: Pick up cap and gown even if you will not graduate in May. It will be shipped back to the warehouse
if you don’t. You will need it if you graduate in August.
Leave campus after picking up your cap and gown!
Thursday, May 10th - AWARDS NIGHT – 6:30 PM, Woodlawn Baptist Church
Friday, May 11th - GRADE CORRECTION DEADLINE – 12 Noon – Mrs. Collins, Guidance Office
Monday, May 14th - GRADUATION PRACTICE – 9:00 a.m. Healing Place Church
Monday, May 14th - GRADUATION CEREMONY – 6:00 p.m. Healing Place Church.
(The ceremony usually lasts approximately one hour.)
Tuesday, May 15th - DIPLOMA CORRECTION DEADLINE – 2:00 p.m., Mrs. Collins, Guidance Office
1 Hour - 7:10 – 8:07
2nd Hour - 8:12 – 9:05
3rd Hour - 9:10 – 10:03
4th Hour - 10:08 – 11:01
5th Hour, 2nd Lunch - 11:06 – 11:59
5th Hour, 1st Lunch - 11:36 – 12:29
6th Hour - 12:34 – 1:27
7th Hour - 1:32 – 2:25
RESPECT: The Senior Class of 2012 is the only one of its kind at WHS. Help to make this the best
COMMENCEMENT exercise ever for WHS. This is the last time in your life that you will
Seniors 2012 FINAL INSTRUCTIONS 3
be together as a group. This is also the last time you may ever see some of these
classmates. Be proud of yourself and make your parents and honored guests on stage
proud of you. Make this occasion one that everyone can be proud to say they were in the
WHS Class of 2012!
Seniors 2012 FINAL INSTRUCTIONS 4