Name: ________________________________________ Date:_________________
Reproduction and Fetal Development: Use your class notes, the class website, and other
resources to complete each section below
Section I: Reproductive System Fill in the Blank: Use the words listed to fill in all of the
blanks to make each sentence make sense. Each word is used only once. Some are for the
female reproductive system, some are for the male reproduction, and some are for both.
Menstruation Fertilization 1/2 Uterus Ovaries
Penis Fallopian Tubes Sperm Egg Cells Erection
______________ are stored in two almond shaped organs called ______________, which also
During the Process of Ovulation, a mature egg cell is released and travels down one of two
tubes known as the _______________________
If the egg is fertilized by sperm, the egg will attach itself to the wall of the ________________
If the egg is not fertilized, it will leave the body along with the unused uterine lining and a small
amount of blood called ____________________ or menstrual flow.
______________ begin being produced in the testicles during puberty.
An ___________________ is caused by blood flowing into the spongy muscles of the
Sperm and Eggs each carry _______________ of the chromosomes needed to create life
_____________________ is the name given when a sperm enters the egg
Section II: Order of events in Fetal Development Place a number on the line in the order you
think the events occur. Use a pencil first in case you have to erase
_____ Cells begin to divide _____ Fetus can hear sounds
_____ Fertilized egg implants it self in the uterus wall _____ Sperm cell enters egg
_____ Cervix dilates _____ all organs can function
_____ Pregnancy is full term/baby turns upside down _____ Heart begins to beat
_____ gender can be seen _____ hands and feet develop
_____ Baby is delivered _____ Can hear sounds
Section III: Order of development Place these “baby names” in the order in which they occur
during pregnancy by writing the # under each name 1-5.
Baby Blastisist Zygote Embryo Fetus
Section IV: Short Answer : Write a short answer for each question below
1) List 2 possible signs that a women is pregnant
2) Define Fertilization
3) About how many days is a normal menstrual cycle
4) What is the purpose of the placenta and umbilical cord
5) How many trimesters does a full term pregnancy have
6) About how many weeks is a full term pregnancy?
7) List one sign that a woman goes into labor ?
8) What direction should the head be when labor is occurring?
9) What organ does the fetus develop in?
10) What is the amniotic sac?
11) What could happen if a mother takes drugs during pregnancy?
12) What is it called if a fetus stops developing and the pregnancy ends?
Explain 1 of the 2 ways that twins can occur (it doesn’t matter if they are identical or fraternal)