Plymouth Community Homes
POSITION: Repairs Resource Planner
RESPONSIBLE TO: Repairs Planning Supervisor
LOCATION: Fort Austin Depot
SUMMARY OF ROLE
To provide a consistently high quality service to all internal and external customers.
To work as a member of the Planning Team coordinating seamless and efficient running of
the Operatives diaries attending to their queries and action them as required.
Maintaining effective appointment and work planning systems using the appointment and
other related software in accordance with company policies and strategies with the aim to
meeting all targets.
To comply with all data protection legislation as required.
Members of the Planning Team will be required to work supporting Day to Day Repairs,
Voids, Gas Servicing or any combination for the purposes of service cover.
1. To contribute to the effective delivery of the property repairs service for the tenants of
Plymouth Community Homes (PCH), who are committed to responding courteously, quickly
and accurately to all enquiries.
2. Coordinate and control adequate provision of staff to maintain front line service provision at
3. Ensure that all tenants’ job repair requests are correctly resourced and address resource
shortages as and when they are identified, often this will be at short notice and under
pressure. To include ensuring all materials are correct, in stock, delivered and ready on site
prior to operatives arrival to ensure efficient repairs delivery.
4. Coordinate, control and support operatives as required – receive and action telephone call
queries from them efficiently and effectively, to maximise service delivery. Update
operative’s diaries on the system to maximise work efficiency.
5. Manage appointments with customers (tenants) e.g. re-arranging or cancelling to suit.
Including contact and consulting with tenants when informed by operatives of non-
attendance of a tenant at a property address and confirm, cancel or rearrange appointment
as necessary. Contact tenants to ensure access can be obtained for annual servicing
6. Co-ordinate and control queries received from tenants via the Call Centre and action as
required. Taking emergency calls and despatch them to operatives within set target.
7. Run and present reports as required. Compiling reports for a number of serviced properties
and “no accessed” properties on a weekly basis, producing graphs and reports on engineer
8. Responsible for organising and arranging additional support if needed from sub-contractors
to achieve completion of tenants work requirements on time and on target.
9. Efficient management of the Opti Time and Gas Servicing Appointment System, ensuring
the individual diaries are properly dealt with and updated.
10. Liaise with other departments as necessary e.g. stores, contracts, estate monitoring
officers, technical inspectors etc: as required.
11. To ensure that information databases are maintained accurately, and that any notifications
of change or amendments are input into the system within the same working day.
12. Close off jobs on the system after confirming that all appointments made have been duly
kept by working on submitted run sheets.
13. To actively promote anti-discriminatory practice.
14. To have the ability to work on their own with the minimum of supervision.
15. To give visitors to the Department an overview of role and responsibilities including job
shadowing, as required.
1. To work as part of a team, contributing to staff meetings and problem solving groups.
2. To assist with the mentoring and training of new staff in order to maintain service delivery to
customers and to encourage team building.
3. To respond positively to requests from others
4. To recognise when colleagues need support and offer to help.
1. To represent the planning team at relevant meetings and groups, having the ability to
participate in, record and feedback as appropriate.
2. To have the ability to undertake in-depth questioning to ensure that the right information is
3. To develop effective working relationships with all internal and external customers,
departments and Independent contractors.
1. To display an enthusiastic and focused approach to work related tasks in order to meet the
agreed targets and timescales for completion.
2. To produce work that is of a high quality on a consistent basis.
3. To be able to problem solve and to implement where necessary a plan of action.
4. To work within PCH’s Corporate Strategy and to implement service delivery in line with
departmental policies and procedures, business plans and service strategies.
5. To maintain electronic records, keeping accurate details of all transactions and outcomes.
1. To attend regular supervision, and undertake such training and development as required to
improve performance, and to assist career development.
2. To be forward thinking and have the ability to review current work processes and practices
and suggest ways of improving/updating as appropriate.
1. Adhere to service standards as directed by line manager
2. Work within Plymouth Community Homes policies and procedures
3. Use all corporate Systems in accordance with approved guidelines
4. Treat all sensitive information with confidentiality
5. Treat colleagues, clients and customers professionally at all times
Focuses on Customers:
Show a desire to help and serve others. Customers may include internal or external service users,
colleagues, partners and departments. Make self available and approachable and aligns own
efforts to the customers needs.
Show the ability to express ideas and transmit information clearly in verbal and written format to all
levels. Check for understanding when communicating. Comply with Corporate communication
guidelines. Invites and listens to feedback.
Plans and Orders:
Demonstrate the ability to produce clear and accurate work. Plan how to deal with peaks and
trough in workload. Uses simple tools for prioritising and tracking own work. Keeps own work
space tidy and organised.
Adapts to change:
Understand and accept the need for change and is receptive to change. Encourage others to adapt
Works with others:
Treats people equally with respect and fairness. Builds relationships with internal/external
colleagues with whom they are working closely to deliver services and objectives. Understands
how own role contributes to the success of the team.
Meet objectives and takes ownership for achieving targets. Work to get things done on time and to
the required standard. Stays focused on the task in hand.
Supports the Organisation:
Understand how own work and team objectives contribute to service delivery. Take pride in own
work and the good work of the service. Promote PCH in a positive manner.
Plymouth Community Homes
Repairs Resource Planner
Requirement Essential Desirable
Experience and job Supervisory experience with specific Working Knowledge of Opti-Time
knowledge ability to train and develop staff. system.
Previous experience in an
Understanding role of Social
Experience of giving information and Housing Management.
advice using telephone and personal
Knowledge of customers Right to
Experience of working in a customer Repair.
Ability to use Information Technology to
a high level of competence e.g.
Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Access
and Outlook or equivalent and to have
a good knowledge of information
database systems and applications.
Awareness and understanding of the
data protection act and the implications
for the department.
Knowledge of Housing construction
and basic repairs.
Job related Excellent customer care skills with the
Undertaken customer care
Abilities ability to communicate effectively with
members / tenants / representatives
and the departments contractors,
Experience in multi agency
dealing with issues sensitively,
discreetly and confidentially.
Excellent organisational skills with a
focus on attention to detail.
Well developed communication and
interpersonal skills e.g. ability to
communicate effectively in person, by
telephone and by correspondence
often in stressful situations.
Computer literate with good keyboard
skills, preferably in MS Windows R.S.A. II or equivalent.
Ability to remain calm when dealing
with stressful situations and working Training in dealing with difficult
under pressure, dealing with difficult customers.
Ability to record, monitor and update
information accurately on IT based
systems and computerised records.
Must be able to work under pressure in
a target oriented environment.
Ability to work well as part of a team,
and participate fully in team meetings
to develop service.
Ability to work on own initiative,
prioritising own and teams workload to
meet targets and deadlines.
Ability to train, mentor, coach and
develop employees as required.
Ability to work within Corporate policies
and an understanding and commitment
to Equal Opportunities and Anti Evidence of Anti- Discrimination
Discriminatory practice. training
To promote health and safety practices
Qualifications Evidence of continuous professional Customer Care and Telephone
development. Skills Courses.
A willingness to undertake appropriate NVQ Level 2 Customer Service
and regular training as required. and Call Handling Operations.
Good all round education, educated to
a reasonable standard.
Commitment to achieve NVQ3 in
Customer Care within 1 year.
PHYSICAL Ability to work on a rota basis to cover
REQUIREMENTS shifts between 7.00am – 8.00pm
Monday to Friday.
Ability to work across sites within the
Plymouth Community Homes is committed to providing access, aids and adaptations and
alternatives wherever possible and reasonable to enable disabled people to fulfil the criteria for,
and undertake the duties of the job.
The post holder must maintain confidentiality of information about staff and residents and Plymouth
Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services business and be aware of the Data
Protection Act 1998.
2. Standards of Business Conduct
Plymouth Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services expect all employees to
maintain the highest standards of personal and business conduct at all times. Plymouth
Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services staff handbook sets out the
Plymouth Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services expectations under
sections: Code of Conduct
and Declaration of Interests, copies are available from the Human Resources Department at
3. Health & Safety
The Post holder should be aware of the responsibility placed on employees under the Health &
Safety at Work Act (1974) to ensure that the agreed safety procedures are carried out to maintain
a safe environment.
The post holder must ensure that, as far as practicable, all working practices and procedures
(including any equipment) are safe and without risk to staff under their control. There is a
responsibility to make sure that all staff are aware of safety rules and procedures and undertake
appropriate safety training as may be necessary. The post holder must attend appropriate Health
and Safety training and ensure that PCH’s Health and Safety Policy is applied in all Sections under
their management control particularly in respect to the legal requirement for undertaking risk
4. Risk Management
Consider and follow the Plymouth Community Homes Risk Management processes when
participating in service planning and delivery.
5. Equal & Diversity
Plymouth Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services is opposed to direct and
indirect discrimination and aims to promote equal opportunities throughout Plymouth Community
Homes and Plymouth Community Homes Services. Any employee of Plymouth Community Homes
and Plymouth Community Homes Services is required to treat all colleagues, customers,
stakeholders and partners equally, regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation or
All employees must abide by the Plymouth Community Homes and Plymouth Community Homes
Services Equal & Diversity Policy and Strategy – a copy is available upon request from the Human
Resources Department at Princess Court.
6. Training and Development
To attend appropriate training courses and supervision meetings as required.
To attend staff and team meetings
The post holder must also undertake such other duties appropriate to the grading of the post, as
PURPOSE OF A JOB DESCRIPTION
This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. Job descriptions are reviewed and
updated when considered necessary to reflect any changes to the job being done and to
incorporate changes. Employees will be consulted on any changes in their job description in a
meeting with their line manager. If agreement is not possible Plymouth Community Homes and
Plymouth Community Homes Services reserves the right to insist on changes by adding to, taking
away or substituting duties; provided that in doing so we do not change the fundamental nature of