Study Guide for the Semester 1 Exam- PreCalculus
Start Preparing Early:
Go back and review your notes from Modules 1 – 5.
Go back and review your old exams. Rework problems that you missed and make sure you
understand the mistake you made.
Each chapter in your book as “Study Aides”. Use these as extra practice.
Review the Graded HW from each lesson.
Review the Practice Exercises that were assigned in each lesson.
Think about EVERYTHING you know about the following topics:
1. Odd Functions, Even Functions
3. Composition Functions
4. Shifting Functions
5. What are the steps for creating a STAT Plot based on a table of data?
6. What are the steps for finding the linear regression equation using the calculator?
7. Vertical Asymptotes, Horizontal Asymptotes
8. Zero of a function, Root of a function
9. Imaginary Roots
10. Maximum or Minimum of a Function
11. Possible Rational Roots
12. Complex Conjugate
13. Change of Base Formula for Logarithms
14. Properties used to expand or condense logarithmic expressions
15. Solving a logarithmic equation
16. Solving an exponential equation
17. Domain/Range of Logarithmic Functions
18. Domain/Range of Exponential Functions
19. The acronym ASTC
20. The acronym SOH-CAH-TOA
21. Csc(x), cot(x), sec(x)
22. How do you obtain a good graph for y=csc(x) using the graphing calculator?
23. When graphing trig functions, what is amplitude? Period? Horizontal Shift? Vertical Shift?
24. How do you find the vertical asymptotes of a trig function?
25. Given a trig equation, how do you solve it algebraically? how can you solve it graphically?
26. What does it mean to “verify the identity”
27. Explain some of the strategies you can use to simplify trig expressions.
28. Sum and Difference Formulas
29. Reviewing the HW problems in 5.05, what are some of the ways we used the sum/difference
formulas in the graded assignment?
30. Pythagorean Identities
31. Inverse Trigonometric Function
32. Review the HW to find out how to find the EXACT value of an inverse trig function.
33. Review the HW to find out how to use the graphing calculator to find the value of an inverse trig