CITY OF LONDON ACADEMY, ISLINGTON
LEARNING RESOURCES CENTRE MANAGER/LIBRARIAN
Full Time only
36 hrs per week
APT&C Scale PO1 Point 34 - 36
Vice Principal. Teaching and Learning
Purpose of Post: To manage the development, policies and operation of a centralised Learning
Resource Centre (LRC)/Library that both supports and extends beyond the needs of the curriculum.
Equal Opportunities: The Academy has a strong commitment to Equal Opportunities in its services to
students, staff and the wider community. All employees should understand, be committed to and promote
Duties and Responsibilities: To undertake the following with minimal supervision:
1. Participate in the middle tier of Academy management, contributing as appropriate to the
Academy’s overall strategies for effective management.
2. Day to day management of the library and information service, including selection, acquisition and
organisation of resources.
3. Promoting equality of opportunity in all aspects of the library service within the agreed policy of the
4. Run the Accelerated Reader scheme and promote good attitudes to reading across the Academy
5. In liaison with the Achievement Leaders and Key Skills Co-ordinators for Literacy, manage the
development, quality and continuous improvement of LRC services.
6. In liason with the Head of Sixth Form support the EPQ programme.
7. Estimating, negotiating and controlling LRC budget, including the provision of relevant statistics to
8. Encouraging the effective use of the LRC across the curriculum and providing guidance to groups and
individuals using the LRC.
9. In liaison with Key Skills Coordinators and line manager, develop and deliver Information Literacy
tutorials as part of the Academy’s wider skills and literacy policies.
10. Disseminating information on resources to staff and students.
11. Promoting the use of library resources for pleasure and personal interest and providing individual
reading guidance to students.
12. Manage space and occupancy of the LRC to create and maintain a positive working ethos, liaising
with colleagues in premises management and network management as necessary for the
maintenance of premises and equipment
13. Ensure LRC services develop to support e-learning, including web-page development and supporting
the school’s virtual learning environment in liaison with the IT Network Manager and team.
14. Provide professional research and enquiry services to students and staff.
15. Provide induction training to students and also to staff as part of the CPD programme.
16. Liaison with other information agencies, including local public libraries
17. Keeping up-to-date with developments in education, librarianship, IT and related fields.
18. Organisation and promotion of book fairs, exhibitions and visiting speakers in connection with whole
academy interests, e.g. Disability Awareness, Women Writers.
19. Set up regular book sales.
20. Run Book Club.
21. Responsibility for ensuring that a safe working environment is provided by the Academy for students
and staff using the LRC.
23. Monitor and report to AVP on the use of the LRC, including providing detailed reports on student use
of resources, requests for additional and extended resources and identifying gaps in provision
24. Train and develop the LRC Assistant
25. Develop a network of information professionals across the local area, sharing and developing good
26. Encourage, promote and provide for out of hours use of the LRC and its resources
27. 28. Promote the specialisms via the wide use of resources and choice of materials
29. Promote the use of the LRC and its resources for weekend and holiday events
30. Carry out all duties with due regard to the policies of the Academy
31. Carry out such other duties within the competence of the postholder which may be required,
reasonably, from time to time.
Personal Specification - LEARNING RESOURCES CENTRE MANAGER/LIBRARIAN
Key Criteria Specific Criteria
Knowledge of leadership and management activities associated with Learning Resource
Knowledge of how Learning Resource Centres/ Libraries can be used to support curriculum
delivery and raising standards for pupils
Knowledge of how the Learning Resource Centre/ Library can be used effectively to
support children of different ages (11 – 18 years)
Knowledge of the use of ICT to support learning and the leadership and management of a
Learning Resource Centre/ Library
Experience in using ICT to support learning and the leadership and management of a
Learning Resource Centre/ Library
Experience in supporting teaching and learning and in working with groups of students
Experience in planning relevant learning activities within the context of the Learning
Resource Centre/ Library
Experience of using Accelerated Reader to raise literacy levels
Experience in working with children with challenging needs / high levels of SEN
Ability to work in line with the vision and expectations of the organisation
Ability to improve students’ learning and their outcomes.
Ability to organise own work processes to deliver on time and to agreed quality standards.
Ability to adapt quickly and flexibly to new demands and change
Ability to work as part of a team
Ability to develop and use a range of resources to support delivery of learning
Ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral form
Ability to lead and develop the Learning Resource Centre through effective engagement in
the Academy’s School Self Evaluation and Review Framework
Ability to use ICT to support delivery of learning and management of the Learning Resource
Training Experience in working within a Library or Learning Resource Centre
Relevant Librarian/ Learning Resource Centre qualification
Evidence of engagement in continuing professional development in relation to the post
Attributes Qualities and standards driven, Self-starter
Demonstrates a positive attitude and commitment to equality.
Responds effectively to ideas, initiative and innovation
Demonstrates creativity and imagination, showing an ability to adapt teaching styles to the
needs of a group of children
Highly motivated showing resilience, stamina and reliability under pressure
Manages own time well
Have the ability to review own performance
Ability to relate well to children, parents and members of the community