Dr. Alecia Jackson
Appalachian State University
Readings for this assignment are listed on the syllabus (Anderson-Levitt & Carreon,
Drake, & Barton). Read “Ethnography” first and then read the research article.
Please answer the questions below to help you critique the research:
1. What is the research question?
2. How does the research extend or challenge the understandings from the related
3. Who is the culture-sharing group of participants, and what cultural aspects do they
4. What are the material, economic, and political contexts of their lives?
5. What ethnographic methods do the researchers use to collect data?
6. What patterns or themes do the researchers identify?
7. What is the broader interpretation made from the patterns/themes?