Cuban Missile Crisis Quiz: Name_____________________________________
1. When did the Cuban Missile Crisis occur?
A) November 1963 B) October 1962 C) April 1961 D) September 1959
2. Who was the Soviet Premier at the time of the crisis?
A) Stalin B) Lenin C) Khrushchev D) Brezhnev
3. Who was the American President during the crisis?
A) Carter B) Johnson B) Johnson D) Kennedy
4. Who was the leader in power in Cuba at the time of the crisis?
A) Batista B) Peron C) Castro D) Noriega
5. What event, which happened in April 1961, leads the Cubans to believe that the U.S. was
considering overthrowing the Castro regime?
A) The Cuban Missile Crisis B) the Bay of Pigs invasion C) ORTSAC D) the Cuban Revolution
6. What does the acronym ORTSAC stand for?
A) a CIA term for a deep cover agent in Cuba B) a Soviet military term for MIRVs (multiple
independent re-entry vehicles) C) a U.S. military buzzword for Operational Rotational Transfers
for Strategic Air Command D) a code name for a mock invasion of Cuba (Castro spelled
7. What other international body, other than the U.N., condemned the Soviet Union's
placement of nuclear missiles in Cuba?
A) Organization of American States (OAS) B) European Economic Community (EEC) C) North
Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) D) Warsaw Pact
8. The missiles were first discovered when Richard Heyser, a _____ pilot, flew over Cuba.
A) RF-101 B) SR-71 Blackbird C) RF-8 Crusader D) U-2
9. What was the name of Kennedy's special group of advisors?
A) COMECON B) NSA C) EX-COMM D) Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS)
10. The U.S. missiles in _____ threatened the Soviet Union much like the Soviet missiles in
Cuba threatened the U.S.
A) West Germany B) Turkey C) Finland D) India