SAFARIODBC – Installation Procedures
The SAFARI program is a tool that will allow you to pull data into an Excel Spreadsheet.
It is recommended that the district’s Tech Coordinator perform the installation of this
program for your use. PORTS that need to be open: #1100 thru 1199 and 23341
(TCP). Please note these instructions were developed using Internet Explorer. If using
another browser, there may be minor differences in the actual appearance of the screen
shots and/or wording used.
INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE
1. SAFARIODBC.EXE is located on the MEC web page at www.mecdc.org. Click
on the ITC tab, select ‘Fiscal Services’ and locate the ‘Spreadsheets,
Documents and Downloads’ link on the left. Under the SAFARI section
choose the ‘Download Safari’ option.
2. Select to ‘Save’ the file to your desktop. Please note it may take a few minutes
to download the SAFARI program.
3. Once the download has completed, close the download dialog box.
4. Go to your Desktop and click on the SAFARIODBC.EXE icon which will appear
as shown below.
5. You will see the following dialog box regarding the publisher could not be
verified. Click on ‘Run’ to continue with the installation of the program.
6. Click on ‘Browse’ to change the ‘Unzip to folder’ path to a temp folder and Click
Upon completion, you will receive a message indicating that the files
have been successfully unzipped. Click OK and Close the WinZip Self-
7. Go to your DESKTOP and click on the SETUP.EXE icon which will appear as
Follow the screen shots below giving the responses as provided.
8. Click ‘Next’.
9. Enter your name and company (district) name or you may leave blank.
10. Enter license number SB-43714-1066 (SB must be capitalized)
11. Click ‘Next’.
12. Select English.
13. Click ‘Next’.
14. Click ‘Yes’ to accept the Software License Agreement.
15. Click ‘Next’ to accept the default for the driver destination location.
16. Select ‘Add’ to enter a New Connection Configuration.
17. A new connection setup box will appear.
18. Enter the Connection Name, each name set up must be unique.
You will need a ‘connection setup’ for each set of data you plan to use
with SAFARI. For example: USAS, USPS, EIS, EMIS, SIS, etc. are
each separate sets of data. In the example below, we have used
USPS (you can name it whatever you want to make it easier for you to identify
If creating a data set for EMIS or for HIST files, we recommend entering the
specific period of data, such as: EMIS_06N; EMIS_07K; HIST_FY08;
HIST_CY08; etc. NOTE: For EMIS, this only applies to old reporting periods from
FY10 and prior.
19. Enter the server name: FISCAL.MECDC.ORG Enter your user name
But leave the password field blank. You will enter this each time you actually
use SAFARI. Once you have entered the connection and server names,
click the ‘Advanced Setup’ tab to the right of the dialog box to complete
20. Leave port # and service information as shown above. Enter the
appropriate path name for the desired data set as shown below:
USAS - OECN$:SAFARI USAS
USPS - OECN$:SAFARI USPS
Former Yr USAS - OECN$:SAFARI USAS ARC FY08 or
OECN$:SAFARI USAS ARC CY08
Former Yr USPS - OECN$:SAFARI USPS ARC FY08 or
OECN$:SAFARI USPS ARC CY08
EIS - OECN$:SAFARI EIS
EMIS - OECN$:SAFARI EMIS 08K or
OECN$:SAFARI EMIS 07N or
OECN$:SAFARI EMIS 07K
21. Click ‘OK’.
22. Click ‘OK’ again (Your entry should now show in the Server Connect Box)
23. You can repeat steps 17-22 for additional connections.
24. Click ‘Next’ to continue once all connections have been added.
25. Click ‘Next’ to accept the default program folder
26. Click ‘Next’ for the current settings information.
27. The software will finish installing (usually very quickly). Once completed, you
will see this screen:
28. It is recommended that you select the option ‘Restart the Computer’.
Choose an option and click ‘Finish’.
You have completed the installation procedures and are ready to use the SAFARI
NOTE for Tech Coordinator:
You will need ODBCUPDATE.EXE only if the pc has Windows 2000 or less. In that
case, you will need to request that we copy it into your fiscal account directory.
Then you will FTP it to your desktop for installation.
1. Double click on the ODBCUPDATE file.
2. This is a self extracting file. If it is a zipped file, select the folder you want to
unzip the files to (preferably a temp folder). Click UNZIP. When finished click OK,
3. Locate and open the temp folder you unzipped the files to and double click on
the SETUP file.
4. Click ‘Next’.
5. Click ‘Next’.
6. Click ‘Next’.
6. Select ‘Finish’. (It is recommended that you restart your computer.)
Adding additional connections after installing Safari
• Go to Start button and “All Programs”
• Safari BI Plus
• Safari InfoTools
• ODBC 32 Administrator
• The following screen shots show you step-by-step how to add additional
connections after Safari has been installed.
Click on ‘System DSN’ tab. If the PC user is restricted from system level access stay in
User DSN tab.
Click on ADD button to add additional connections
Select the SAFODBC (English) Driver 32 and click FINISH
Follow the steps outlines from pages 6 and 7 of this document to setup connections.