Chapter 17 Packet Due ____________
I certify that this is my work and my work alone:
PRINT NAME SIGNATURE
Chapter 17 Vocabulary ( you MUST know these terms!)
High quality energy Net energy
Conventional light oil
Heavy crude oil Reserve
Chapter 17 Questions Section One
1. What supplies 99% of the energy we use? What percentage of the
remaining 1% of the energy we use comes from nonrenewable and from renewable
energy in (a) the world, and (b) the United States?
2. How long does it usually take to phase in a new energy alternative to the point
where it accounts for 10–20% of total energy use?
3. What questions should we try to answer about each energy resource?
3. What is net energy, and why is it important in evaluating an energy resource?
4. Why is the net energy for oil from the Middle East high and that for nuclear power
5.Label the different types of energy resources found in earth’s crust and general mining methods.
Figure 17-2 p.351
Section Two: Fossil Fuels–Petroleum
Use in U.S.
Chapter 17 Questions (con’t)
6. How is oil extracted from the earth’s crust?
7. (next page)
8. List the advantages and disadvantages of drilling for oil and
natural gas in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
9. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using heavy oil
from oil sand and oil shale as energy resources?
10. What happens to crude oil at a refinery? What are petrochemicals?
Fossil Fuel –Natural Gas
Use in U.S.
11. Distinguish between liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and liquefied
natural gas (LNG) .
Fossil Fuel –Coal
Use in U.S.
12. Distinguish among lignite, bituminous, and anthracite coal.
13. How is coal extracted from the earth’s crust? What are the two
major uses of coal?
14. What are the advantages and disadvantages of converting solid
coal into gaseous and liquid fuels?
15. Describe how a nuclear fission reactor works. (diagram) What are the major components
of a light-water nuclear reactor system, and what role does each play?
16. What is the nuclear fuel cycle? What is the difference between an open and a closed
nuclear fuel cycle?
17. List three reasons why commercial nuclear power plants were developed in the United
States after World War II. List 3 factors that have contributed to the leveling off of the use of
nuclear power plants to produce electricity.
18. List the major advantages and disadvantages of using conventional nuclear fission to
produce electricity. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of using nuclear power and
burning coal to produce electricity.
19. How safe are nuclear power plants? How vulnerable are U.S. nuclear power plants to
terrorist attack Explain.
20. What is being done with low-level radioactive waste produced by the nuclear fuel cycle?
21. What are the options for dealing with high-level radioactive waste? .
22. What are the three options for retiring (decommissioning) worn-out nuclear power plants?
23. What are dirty bombs and how are they made?
24. Discuss the economic feasibility of conventional nuclear power.