Lighting and Sound
• Technological changes in society can be
traced by changes in Theatre lights!
• 1. Sunlight
• 2. Candles & oil lamps
• 3. Gas lighting
• 4. Electric lights
• 5. Computerized lights, projection,
Objectives of Lighting
• 1. Providing Visibility
• 2. Establishing Time and Place - What is light like in
the morning? In the morning in the woods?
• 3. Creating Mood - What is the light like for a happy
scenes? A scary scene?
• 4. Reinforcing Style - realistic vs non-realistic
• 5. Providing Focus and Composition - where does
the audience look? How does lighting influence that?
• 6. Establishing Rhythm - Quick changes?
Crossfades? How does lighting affect the overall pace
of a play?
Elements of Stage
• Using a set model let’s explore…
• 1. Intensity (brightness)
• 2. Color (cool vs warm,for example)
• 3. Direction (example - flashlight on face)
• 4. Form (what shape or pattern is the
• 5. Movement
Objectives of Sound
• To provide all sound called for in a
production (creating sound, live or
– Motivated sounds, called for by script (car
starting, door slam)
– Environmental sounds (to create verisimilitude -
crickets chirping, street traffic, etc heard in the
background - really establishes PLACE well)
• To reinforce spoken and musical sounds
(amplify using microphones)
Sound wash down
Odysseus: Cyclops, would you like something to
your food? (offers him a wineskin)
• Cyclops: (takes wineskin and drinks) Mmm! I like you, Greek.
I’m going to do you a favor. What’s your name?
• Odysseus: My name is Nobody.
• Cyclops: (takes another drink, laughs) Nobody, because you
shared this delicious drink with me, I’m going to eat you last.
(laughs and drinks until he falls asleep, snoring)
• Odysseus: (whispers to his men, offstage) Quick! Have you
heated up the stake in the fire? Bring it here! (stabs Cyclops in
• Cyclops: Aaaaaaa!!! Help! I’m blinded!
• Other Cyclopses: (from offstage) What is wrong Polyphemus?
Who is hurting you?
• Cyclops: It’s Nobody!
• Other Cyclopses: Well then, quiet down, in the name of Zeus!