West Campus Senate Meeting Minutes
Thursday, 1:15 pm, March 9, 2006
I. Call to Order. Introduction of Guests.
PRESENT: Brian Macon (presiding), Beverly Bond, Tom Byrnes, George Dow, George
Dow (for Terry Long), Bob Gessner, Gloria Hines, Graeme Lindbeck, Suzanne Lynch,
Lisa Macon, Sue Matthews, Steve Muller, Beth Perrell, Lana Powell, George Rausch,
and Bill Snider
GUESTS: Natalia Figueroa (Valencia Source), Paula Gastenveld, Angelique Smith, and
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Provost’s Report:
1. West Campus was approved for 2 new faculty positions in the areas of
Architecture and Education. Also, a collegewide position will be housed
2. The Florida Blood Center had its grand opening in the HSB. Valencia is
the first community college in the nation to have one.
3. Regarding the facilities, there are changes being made to the 3rd floor of
Building 6; the Math Center is being remodeled; Building 5 is finished;
submitting final plans for Building 10 which will house Science and
Allied Health; there are also plans for 2 new buildings--a Signature
Building which will contain culinary and conference facilities and a joint-
use facility with UCF.
4. Applied for grant for EPI program.
IV. Information Items
1. Alternative Delivery Standards: Angelique Smith gave
background on the work that has been done thus far and
asked for feedback from the faculty. Question and answer
2. Endowed Chairs: The application process has changed.
Anyone interested in applying or having questions
regarding the application process should contact Amy
Bosley or Becky Gallup.
3. 6-6-0-0 Contracts: A motion was made and approved to
forward the memo presented by Lisa Macon regarding the
6-6-0-0 plan and resolution (with revisions and subsequent
approval) to the Collegewide Faculty Council. Memo will
be edited and distributed via email for input and approval.
4. Faculty Staffing: Faculty are needed for the College
Learning Council—reminded to respond to Amy Bosley by
March 10. If interested in the College Wide Student
Activity Budget Committee, send Brian Macon an email
and he will bring to the Faculty Council for a vote.
5. Engagement Hours: Sub-committee will address and create
a document to outline best practices (not policy) for virtual
6. Compensation: Motion was made and approved to
wordsmith the letter presented by Lana Powell regarding
faculty compensation to be sent to Dr. Shugart and the
District Board of Trustees.
V. Action Items
1. Non-smoking Petition: Chi Epsilon chapter of Phi Theta
Kappa and SGA on the West Campus have submitted a
signed petition to have certain areas of the campus
designated as non-smoking. A motion was made and
approved to endorse the Provost’s effort to make the
breezeways and doorways smoke free. It was also
suggested to explore ashtrays that can alleviate smoke.
VI. Departmental Reports:
Advising: Summer registration starts April 3; new technology for orientation—
can sign up through Atlas.
Architecture, Engineering and Technology: None
Fine Arts: None
Health Sciences: None
Library: New UCF librarian working 12 hours per week on West Campus.
Math and PE: None
Business, Behavioral and Social Sciences: None