0 – 10 Years
1926 - 1936
• Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born 21st April 1926 at
• She was left with a Nanny when she was 8 months old so that
her parents could take a 6 month sea voyage
• Educated at home by her father, a teacher from Eton and with
RE taught by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Lessons included
dance, singing, art, geography, French and maths. Her
favourite lessons were drama and swimming.
• Her sister, Princess Margaret Rose was born in 1930
• She wasn’t destined to be Queen
• One of her favourite play activities was her play house which
was the size of a little cottage.
10- 20 Years
1936 - 1946
• In 1936 her grandfather died and her Uncle, Edward VIII became King. He
abdicated - gave up the throne to marry a commoner who was divorced and so
was not able to rule. Elizabeth’s father became king George VI and she was next in
line for the throne.
• Princess Elizabeth wanted a brother so that she would not have to become queen.
• Princess Elizabeth was 13 when the second world war broke out in 1939.
• She was sent to different Royal homes, Balmoral, Sandringham, Royal Lodge in
Windsor and then Windsor Castle in 1940
• In 1939 she met Prince Philip for the first time, but she didn’t know she would
marry him then.
• She gave a speech to evacuees when she was 14 for BBC children’s hour. (Abigail
to say speech)
• Buckingham Palace was bombed 9 times in the war.
• She joined the Territorial Service just before the War ended.
• In 1946 she privately agreed to marry Prince Philip.
20 – 30 Years
1946 - 1956
• On 20th November 1947 Princess Elizabeth married
Prince Philip in Westminster Abbey.
• In 1948 Prince Charles was born
• In 1950 Princess Anne was born
• In 1952 – 6th February, while she was on an official
tour in Kenya, her father died and she became
• On 2nd June 1953 the Queen was crowned
• In 1954 she went on a grand tour of the
The Queen’s Coronation
30 – 40 Years
1956 - 1966
• In 1956 Prince Philip opened the Melbourne
• In 1960 Prince Andrew was born
• In 1964 Prince Edward was born
• During these years the Queen had to settle
into the routine work of a monarch. She had
weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and
still does today
1966 - 1976
• A film of the Royal family was made in the late 1960s
– based on behind the scenes in Buckingham Palace.
• Prince Charles was officially made Prince of Wales,
making him next in line for the throne.
• In 1972 she celebrated her silver wedding
• In 1973 her daughter Princess Anne married Captain
Prince Charles’ Investiture
50 – 60 Years
1976 - 1986
• The queen’s silver Jubilee was in 1977. Her private secretary said she “had a love
affair with the country.
• Celebrations made her very popular and more than 1,000,000 travelled to London
to see her
• In the same year the Queen visited Northern Ireland.
• In 1979 the first female Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, was elected
• In 1979 there were terrorist threats against the royal family and Prince Philip’s
uncle, Lord Mountbatten and several others, including another member of his
family were killed.
• In 1981 when celebrating the Trooping of the Colour six shots were fired at the
queen, fortunately these we dummy bullets and no one was hurt.
• In 1981 Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer.
• In 1982 her grandson Prince William, 2nd in line for the throne, was born
• In 1982 an intruder got into the Queen’s private quarters, but fortunately he didn’t
• In 1984 her grandson Prince Harry was born
The Queen’s Silver Jubilee
The Marriage of Charles and Diana
60 – 70 Years
1986 - 1996
• Annus Horribilis – the queen called 1992 this
because Windsor Castle was set on fire and
Prince Andrew and Princess Anne’s marriages
• In 1996 Charles and Diana’s marriage ended.
The Fire at Windsor Castle
70 – 80 Years
1996 - 2006
• 1997 Princess Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris
• 1999 Prince Edward married Sophie, Countess of
• In 2000 her mother reached 100 years old
• In 2002, her mother and her sister Margaret died
• 2002 – the Queen’s Golden Jubilee
• 2003 – 2006 the queen had lots of minor injuries.
• 2005 – Prince Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles
The Queen’s Golden Jubilee
80 – 90 Years
2006 - today
• April 2011 – Prince William married Catherine
• May 2011 – the Queen visited the Republic of
• June 2012 – The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
Prince William marries Kate Middleton
Diamond Jubilee Portrait
The Queen’s Favourites
• Horse racing
• Royal Yacht