Eng 101: Silk Worksheet Instructor Dowling
Answer these questions in about four complex sentences.
Show your deep understanding of the story and its issues.
1. Barrico names his towns, characters, and objects with care. Show three examples of this
device and consider briefly how it serves the story.
2. Herve Joncour travels to Japan repeatedly to buy the best silkworm eggs. Why does
Baricco use the same words (with the lake changed each time) to describe each of his
3. Does Joncour make love to the woman with the face of a girl, whose eyes do not have an
oriental slant? Why did Baricco make this choice?
4. What type of love exists between Herve and Helene? What type of love exists between
Herve and the unnamed woman/girl of his desire?
5. Why does Joncour build an immense garden at his estate? What symbolic or metaphoric
purpose does it serve (other than to employ the townspeople in a time of economic
6. The last letter (written in Japanese) is pivotal to the story. Who wrote it? Why did that
person choose to express his/her love in this way?