KINGUSSIE HIGH SCHOOL PARENT COUNCIL
MEETING OF 18 JUNE 2008
KINGUSSIE HIGH SCHOOL, 7.30 pm
In attendance: Isobel McCourt (Chair); Shona Pringle; May Hobson; John Tracey (Head
Teacher); Kate Wright; Judith Bullivant; Isla Russell; Carolyn Turner; Mike Donaghy
Apologies: Stephen Baxter; Gregor Rimmel; Kristin Duncan; Fiona Love; Elspeth
Martin; Donna Shaw; Catherine Macleod; John Convery
Summary of Action points:
Letter to Hector Robertson regarding provision of music department to be sent to
Contact to be made with Elspeth Martin for a new contact in Grantown for DoE
Promotional material to be drafted for P7 Parent’s Day (AP:JB)
1. Minutes of meeting of 30 April 2008: proposed as a correct record by Shona
Pringle and seconded by Kate Wright.
2. Matters arising & action points:
Parent’s Nights Feedback: the list of ideas and suggestions collated at the earlier Parent
Nights is now with Isobel. This can be discussed at a future meeting.
Graduation: the event went well but more assistance is required on the night. The pupils
who helped out on the night were excellent and May Hobson received many
compliments about their help and contribution on the night. Well done to all those
Music provision: A letter has been sent to Hector Robertson regarding the provision of
an improved music department/facility in KHS. The letter was signed by Elspeth Martin,
a copy of which will be made available to the Chair for the next meeting (Action: KW).
Logo Competition: Entries were presented to members and the winner was Caron
Munro, 2 Feshie - well done to Caron!
Duke of Edinburgh: there is a contact in Grantown Grammar for DoE. Isla to obtain this
from Elspeth Martin.
After School Activities & Transport: there was a suggestion that one activity was
provided for at one time, e.g. drama which is currently popular. Kate Wright to look into
costings of taxis from Kingussie to Newtonmore and Aviemore. There was a suggestion
of getting in touch with the National parks Community Involvement Scheme to see if
there is funding for after school clubs. Other suggestions were to ask pupils for
donations towards transport and also to see how much more interest there would be in
activities if transport was available.
Sports day and BBQ: this was a great success, enjoyed by staff and pupils. Suggestion
that more advertising was needed to encourage more parents along next year. All food
bills have been paid.
3. Head Teacher’s report:
Orkney trip: David Taylor had reported that his last Orkney trip with S1 pupils had been
amongst the best ever, the weather was kind and the kids had a fantastic time. These
trips could not have been possible without David’s knowledge and experience.
Food Festival: May Hobson led as group of 12 pupils and 14 adults ‘over the sea to
Skye’ to have lunch at Lady Claire MacDonald’s Kinloch House. The trip was filmed and
all had a great time.
Duke of Edinburgh: the Trading Post had generously donated £500 to buy equipment for
the Duke of Edinburgh expeditions. Much appreciated.
Primary 7 Visits: these were very successful and the theme this year was Malawi. Each
Department mentioned Malawi in some way and the pupils took part in a quiz at the end
of the day. Judith to draft a print-out promoting the work of the Parent Council to give to
the P7 parents on their visit to the school.
Staff departures: farewell to Colin and Marlyn Scott who depart with 68 years’ service
between them. Justin Moon also leaves KHS having completed his probationary period
to take up a post in Larbert. Best wishes to them all.
Consultant Kris von Wald of Avanti Consulting will be visiting the school shortly to gather
the views of teachers, pupils and parents on the National Park. Members were
encouraged to attend.
Recruitment of new members for the Parent Council: there is a need to confirm which
members plan to continue to serve on the Parent Council and to establish where there
are vacancies with a view to filling these and bringing in new members as quickly as
possible. There was also a discussion about the need to establish some sort of
attendance standard for members. The following members are standing down: Fiona
Love; Isla Russell; Elspeth martin; Judith Bullivant
Thanks were proposed to both Isobel and Elspeth for offering to take on the role of joint
chair on a temporary basis. The AGM is scheduled for 16 September at 7.30 pm.
May Hobson kindly offered to take on the role of booking the library for meetings.
Date & time of next meeting: Tuesday 16 September at 7.30 pm in KHS library.