November 19, 2003
EDMS/ERM Functional Requirements
Draft Meeting Minutes
November 19, 2003, AIIM Headquarters, Silver Spring, MD
Attendees in Person:
Tim Sprehe, Chair Sprehe Information Management Associates
Frank Nemeth, Rapporteur EDS
Jon Barrett Hummingbird
Bill Manago MDY
John Vasko CIA
Jeanne Young Consultant
Rachel Van Wingen Tower Software
Al Linden SAIC
Carol Brock GAO
Cathy Dodge Impact Innovations
Yvonne Pollard Dept. of Homeland Security
Attendees on Telephone:
John Breeden VDOT
Debbie Armentrout NARA
Carolyn Offutt EPA
Pat Franks ARMA
Loretta Bryant Dept. of Energy
Jay Blewett Dept. of Energy
1. Tim Sprehe emailed Version 7 of the draft report to committee members at about 11:55 PM
Tuesday November 17. Hence, the first hour of the meeting was designated as time for
committee members to review the latest draft. The meeting itself was formally called to
order at 10:30 AM.
2. Frank Nemeth volunteered to be rapporteur
3. A motion to approve the agenda was made by Bill Manago and seconded by Al Linden.
4. A motion to approve the minutes from the last meeting was made by John Vasko and
seconded by Bill Manago.
5. Old Business - None
6. Discussion of Version 7 of the Committee Report
Tim Sprehe praised Jon Barrett, Cathy Dodge, and Denise Bedford for their efforts in
creating Version 7. Pat Franks praised the report as excellent.
The document has a few small holes remaining.
Jon Barrett reviewed the organization of the current draft.
Page 1 diagram will be changed to the AIIM ECM Diagram.
Bill Manago asked about workflow. The diagram discusses business process management.
Al Linden questioned why the Workflow Management Coalition is not mentioned and
believes it should be mentioned. Committee agreed, and a text will be drafted and placed
into the report.
Frank Nemeth noted that Black Forest was missing from Section 5.2. Tim Sprehe will add
text regarding it.
Al Linden requested that the new OAIS-metadata standard be mentioned. This is not the
Open Archival Information System (OAIS). Bill Manago also noted MoReq is also missing.
It too will be mentioned in the text.
Frank Nemeth requested that a mention of the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) be
added to Section 6.2. Tim Sprehe will coordinate with Carolyn Offutt to add text.
Carolyn Offutt is concerned that the transition from Section 7 to Section 8 is not clear in its
intent. Section 7 should have an introduction to Section 8. Section titles and numbering will
need revision. Also a one sentence description of Section 8 and 9 will be added to Section
Al Linden is concerned with the volume of tables. He suggests using larger typefaces for
readability. That may necessitate using a landscape layout for those sections. Rachel Van
Wingen favors keeping the current type size. Carolyn Offutt agrees with Rachel. The
Committee will leave it to the AIIM Technical Editor to make the determination. The Annex
C table will drop the definitions and add columns for the document reader/user to have a
checklist for evaluation their own systems.
Jon Barrett with add text regarding Framework and Reference Model for Section 7.1.
Pat Franks was concerned about the broad titles used in Section 8. Jon Barrett explained
that the reasoning for the titles is that these titles can be utilized as the Committee continues
to revise and expand the document in the future.
Bill Manago asked that definitions in Section 8 be sourced. It will be added.
Bill Manago raised concern with some of the descriptions in the Tables. In some cases the
descriptions are incorrect. He is also concerned that some Activities may have been
dropped from previous editions. He specifically mentioned 3.9 in the Table (Hold Records).
Tim Sprehe will revise and verify the tables.
Al Linden concerned with the lack of graphics in the report.
Bill Manago will revise Table 9.1 based on definitions from 5015.2, PRO, and Dublin Core.
Tim Sprehe has revised Section 10 to be Approaches not models. The
Advantages/Disadvantages have been removed. The perspective of the approaches is that
of the organization implementing, not the vendors. The final report will have only three
approaches. Discussions of other approaches have been deferred to future editions of the
Al Linden has a number of concerns regarding the approaches. Text that gave a history of
the industry perspective has been cut. Tim Sprehe felt the industry history is out of scope.
Al Linden concerned with approach 3. He would like to see it dropped. The Committee
would like to keep it. Tim Sprehe will revise it.
7. At 12:20 Frank Nemeth, moves to adjourn the meeting. Cathy Dodge seconds the motion.
Next Committee meeting: December 4, 2003. Inputs to the document must be received
by December 1.