Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
By Tennessee Williams
Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
1. Why does Maggie call her nieces and nephews “no-neck monsters”?
2. Why is everyone over the house?
3. What is wrong with Big Daddy?
4. Why doesn’t Maggie like her sister-in-law Mae?
5. What does “cat on a hot tin roof” symbolize?
6. What does Brick not having his crutch symbolize?
7. What does Maggie really mean when she tells Brick to lean on her?
8. Maggie: “I’m not living with you. We occupy the same cage” (28). Explain this quotation.
9. Why does Mae really want Maggie to get rid of her trophy out of the family room?
10. Describe Maggie and Brick’s relationship.
11. What news about Big Daddy does Big Mama tell Brick?
12. Big Mama: “Some single men stop drinkin’ when they git married and others start! Brick never
touched liquor before he --!” (36). Explain this quotation.
13. Brick: “Maggie, I wouldn’t divorce you for being unfaithful or anything else. Don’t you know
that? Hell. I’d be relieved to know you’d found yourself a lover” (39). Explain this quotation.
14. Who lied to Big Mama that Big Daddy was ok?
15. According to Maggie, why did Mae and Gooper really bring their no-neck monsters here to the
house for Big Daddy’s birthday?
16. Why is Maggie worried that she and Brick won’t get any of Big Daddy’s money?
17. Does Maggie really like and love Big Daddy or does she only want his money? Prove it.
18. Why is Maggie scared not to have any money?
19. Who is Skipper?
20. Why does Brick get upset when Maggie talks about Skipper?
21. What was the relationship between Skipper and Brick?
22. What happened to Skipper?
23. How did Brick hurt himself?
24. Brick: “But how in hell on earth do you imagine – that you’re going to have a child by a man that
can’t stand you?” (47). Explain this quotation.
1. Who is Reverend Tooker?
2. What does he want from Big Daddy?
3. Who is the favorite son: Gooper or Brick? Prove it.
4. Why is Big Daddy embarrassed by Big Mama’s behavior?
5. How does Mae try to make Maggie look bad in front of Big Daddy?
6. When Brick was jumping over the hurdles, was he drunk or sober?
7. Describe Big Daddy and Big Mama’s relationship.
8. Why doesn’t Big Daddy believe that Big Mama loves him?
9. When Maggie kisses Brick, why does he wipe his mouth with the back of his hand?
10. When Big Daddy is talking to Brick alone, Mae is standing outside the door. Why?
11. Explain the following quotation: “the human animal is a selfish beast.” (65).
12. What does Brick like to hear the most? Why?
13. Big Daddy says that, “Ignorance – of morality – is a comfort” (68). Explain what that means.
14. Does Big Daddy love Big Mama? Find a quotation to prove your answer.
15. Brick says that for everything to be peaceful, he has to hear a click in his head. What does he
have to do to hear that click?
16. What does mendacity mean?
17. Why does Big Daddy want Brick to stop drinking and get his life together?
18. When did Brick start drinking?
19. What does Big Daddy “suggest” about Brick and Skipper’s relationship?
20. Who were Peter Ochello and Jack Straw?
21. Explain the story of Brick and Skipper from Brick’s point of view.
22. Does Big Daddy believe Brick’s story about him and Skipper?
23. Explain the following quotation: “Mendacity is the system that we live in. Liquor is one way out
an’ death’s the other…..” (94).
24. What shocking news does Brick tell Big Daddy?
1. How did Skipper die?
2. Why is Mae worried that Brick told Big Daddy about his cancer?
3. Why do Mae and Gooper decide to tell Big Mama that Big Daddy has cancer?
4. Explain the following quotation: “I want Brick! Where’s Brick? Where is my only son?” (106).
5. Who does Big Mama want to take over the place?
6. Describe the relationship between Gooper and his parents.
7. Describe the relationship between Brick and his parents.
8. Why does Gooper feel like he should get the money even though he doesn’t have a good
relationship with his father?
9. What is Gooper’s plan if he is not given the money and land that he wants?
10. What lie does Maggie tell the family? Why?
11. Does Mae and Gooper believe the lie? Why?
12. What did Maggie do with all of Brick’s liquor?
13. To get his liquor back, what does Brick have to do?
14. Does Maggie love Brick? Does he believe her?