Telus – Business Transformation Leadership
Development Program 2010
Are you passionate about technology? Do you want to fast track your career by developing your
business acumen and leadership skills? TELUS is looking for future leaders who have a passion
to see technology make a difference. If you are creative, smart, and possess leadership potential
TELUS wants you to join the Business Transformation Leadership Development Program
(BTLDP). This program is more than just rotational assignments and training: it's a customized,
flexible, professional journey designed to challenge you and help you reach your full potential - at
your own pace.
Phase 1: Foundation (12 months)
Working with a team of fellow BTLDP members, the first year of the program will empower and
challenge you to:
• Creatively deliver solutions that address immediate and strategic business needs from
various groups within TELUS.
• Advance your software development knowledge within a large, complex, enterprise
environment and develop your project management and leadership skills.
• Strengthen your proficiency with the software development lifecycle using various
technologies including Java, Weblogic, and Oracle.
• Build your technical and soft skills through customizable learning programs.
This foundational knowledge is invaluable for future positions as you explore new roles and
Phase 2: Rotations (18 - 24 months)
You will leverage your foundational technical knowledge and project delivery experience as you
collaborate with other business areas and cross-functional teams. Rotations are a self directed
approach to learn about different business units and build the kind of career you want. Rotations
usually last 6 months and may span across many different areas of TELUS including: Enterprise
Architecture, Development and Support, the Project Management Office, Marketing, and Human
Some examples of past rotations include, but are not limited to:
• Project Manager, Project Management Office
• Business Systems Analyst, TELUS TV
• Technical Advisor to the CIO, Business Transformation
Some team members choose to specialize in a particular job function by taking multiple rotations
in the same role whereas others decide to gain breadth by trying a variety of roles. Either way,
you have complete flexibility to map out your career path.
Phase 3: Progressive leadership roles
As an experienced team member with business and technical savvy in various departments, you
will be in a position of advantage to seek out progressive leadership roles within TELUS.
Examples of roles that past graduates have moved into include:
• Project Manager, Business Transformation Project Office
• Systems Specialist, High Performance Workplace Solutions
• Developer Analyst II, Environment Management
What's in it for you?
The program offers very attractive business and technical skill development opportunities to
accelerate your career:
• Complete ownership of projects, allowing for you to take on multiple roles in a project
• Diverse rotation opportunities that can be customized to fit your career plan
• Technical and business training and certifications at your own pace
• A customized career development plan
• Mentorship program and networking opportunities
• Being part of a well-recognized development program that can fast-track your career
• Frequent interaction with the TELUS executive team
• A fun, fresh and exciting work environment, including social and networking activities
What does it take?
Required Technical Knowledge and Experience:
• Object Oriented Programming concepts, exposure to the SDLC
• Demonstrated programming experience in Java
• Requirements gathering, design, project planning, and testing methodologies
• Database skills, SQL and demonstrated experience with Oracle or equivalent RDBMS
• Microsoft operating systems and desktop applications, including Office, Project, Visio
Required Skills & Abilities:
• Demonstrated leadership experience
• Commitment to supporting a team-focused environment
• Passionate focus on the possible rather than the impossible
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
• Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and innovative thinking
• Solid conceptualization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
• Passionate about gaining and sharing knowledge
Desired Technical Knowledge:
• Databases: Oracle, MS SQL Server
• Familiarity with web technologies and development : Struts, J2EE, ColdFusion, CSS,
• IDE's: Eclipse, MyEclipse, Visual Studio
• Configuration and Change Management: Subversion, Harvest, Source Safe, CVS, Ant
• WebLogic/Application Server Maintenance
Required Professional Designation/Certification:
• Completion of Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Engineering by Spring 2010
TELUS is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada, with $8.8 billion of annual
revenue and 10.8 million customer connections including 5.1 million wireless subscribers, 4.5
million wireline network access lines and 1.1 million Internet subscribers. TELUS provides a wide
range of communications products and services including data, Internet Protocol (IP), voice,
entertainment and video. TELUS is committed to being Canada's premier corporate citizen, we
give where we live. Since 2000, TELUS and our team members have contributed more than $91
million to charitable and non-profit organizations and volunteered more than 1.7 million hours of
service to local communities. Eight TELUS Community Boards across Canada lead our local
philanthropic initiatives. TELUS is a great place to work. You can see it in our team members.
The diversity of the TELUS team and their unique contributions set us apart from the competition.
Our success is based as much on our future friendly team as the innovative internet, voice, data
and wireless products and solutions we offer.
: ON-Toronto, ON-Scarborough