VIEWS: 14 PAGES: 2 POSTED ON: 9/12/2012
CASE STUDY NAME: A Primary Economic Development – Quarrying in the Peak District TOPIC: People, work and development LOCATION: Peak District What and Why Strategies A variety of minerals are mined in the Peak District: Special equipment used to reduce dust. SHALE – needed in making cement. Is extracted at Hope. About 40% of the cement is transported by road and CEMENT - The cement works at Hope, which is owned and the remaining 60% by rail. run by Blue Circle, is close to supplies of both limestone The Park Authority works with the following companies and shale. The chimney of the works is 130 metres high, to help make decisions: and the ‘smoke’ that comes out of it is in fact steam and does not cause pollution. the District Council Environmental Health Authorities SANDSTONE (MILLSTONE GRIT) - About a dozen the National River Authorities medium to small quarries extract sandstone for use as the Air Pollution Inspectorate building stone. The largest quarries are at Stoke Hall, the Mines and Quarries Inspectorate (Grindleford), Stanton Moor and Birchover. The stone is used in local buildings either for walls or as details such as These companies have responsibility for such matters cornerstones and quoins on limestone buildings. It is also as noise nuisance, water and dust pollution and safety used in other parts of the country, particularly for within quarries. restoration work on historic buildings. Many of the quarries and mines in the Peak District were operating before the area became a National Park. The National Park boundary was drawn so that it excluded many of the main limestone quarries in the Buxton area (that is why the Park is an odd shape CASE STUDY NAME: location of industry TOPIC: People, work and development LOCATION: Globally Effects on people and the environment Arguments for and against quarrying in an area of outstanding natural beauty: For Provides jobs in a rural area where work is scarce. The cement works in the Peak District employs about 200 people and is the largest single local employer. There is a national need for stone for roads and other building. Good stone and rock can only be quarried in hilly areas and these are usually attractive. When the quarry closes it must be landscaped to tone in with local environment. Against For the amount of disruption caused, few people work in the quarry. Creates and eyesore in the landscape visible for miles. Lorries carrying stone are large, noisy and damage the road surface. Dust from the crusher spoils the surrounding area. What is taken away cannot be replaced. Whole hillsides are disappearing.
Pages to are hidden for
"CASE STUDY NAME: Slum redevelopment - DOC"Please download to view full document