Job Title: Field/WASH Manager – Emergency Response
Marsabit central, Northern Kenya
Functionally to Emergency Coordinator and Health Coordinator/ACD-
General Description of the Program:
GOAL Ireland is an international humanitarian organisation currently working in 11 countries
globally. GOAL’s work in Kenya began in 1983 with emergency and development initiatives.
GOAL targets street and slum children and youth through a programme of Support for Children
and Youth in Difficult Circumstances. GOAL current programme target areas include Nakuru in rift
valley and informal settlements in Nairobi.
Currently is responding to the emergency in Northern Kenya and in Daadab camp. The drought
has affected 2.85million people in Kenya and 10million people in the horn of Africa.
General Description of the Role:
The Field/WASH Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing the Emergency
water, sanitation and hygiene promotion element of the programme including planning,
implementation, supervision and evaluation of activities, outputs and objectives of the WASH
programme. The manger will also have to represent GOAL in the district, have overall
management responsibilities and Coordination of all GOAL activities in Marsabit. The
Field/WASH Manager will be expected to ensure timeliness of implementation and that each
element of the programme addresses WASH priorities of the beneficiaries.
1. Ensure overall management and implementation of the emergency WASH project in all
locations of the project.
2. Assist and advise the Emergency Coordinator and Health Coordinator/ACD-Prgrammes in
the overall development of the programme;
3. To ensure the overall co-ordination, planning, monitoring and management of the Field and
WASH project activities;
4. Contribute and/or develop sector project proposals in close collaboration with the Emergency
Coordinator and Health Coordinator/ACD-Prgrammes
5. Develop and ensure adherence to government standards, SPHERE standards, programme
schedules; plan the activities of the section and ensure effective implementation of the
6. Conduct necessary needs assessments in North Kenya for development of the emergency
7. Prepare appropriate and acceptable designs, develop contract documents including
drawings, specifications and bills of quantities;
8. To coordinate closely with relevant local administration and technical Government
Departments and other NGOs doing similar activities in the project areas.
9. Ensure quality of materials and workmanship in the programme activities;
10. Supervise staff on a daily basis reporting to the position, assisting with recruitment and carry
out staff performance management.
11. Support and develop the capacity of team members, community workers and volunteers;
12. Liaise with other parts of the team to ensure consistency of messages, communication and
practices with the community and beneficiaries;
13. Represent GOAL in all Field Coordination and WASH sector meetings and liaise with other
organisations working in the area with WASH projects.
14. Develop and document standards and techniques through demonstration models with the
aim of developing water and sanitation facilities that can be provided to beneficiaries cost
15. Prepare internal weekly, monthly and external timely reports for the project as required.
17. Participate in project evaluation and contribute to the technical evaluation components of the
18. To contribute to planning and budgeting for future technical phases of the project
19. To undertake site visits to check construction progress and ensure compliance with project
design, proper construction standards, health and safety requirements and adherence to
schedules. It will be the engineers responsibility to ensure that all construction works are
completed to the high international standards expected by GOAL and its’ donors.
20. To develop implementation plans and to ensure these plans and GOAL policies are used in
the project implementation, including budget controls, procedures, activity coding etc.
21. To compile and evaluate lessons learnt at the completion of the project.
22. Carry out any other activities as requested by the line manager and Health Coordinator/ACD-
Person Specifications (Requirements):
23. Essential: managerial skills; resourceful and adaptable work approach; creative and proactive
approach to problem solving.
24. Degree in Civil Engineering, Water engineering, Hydrology or environmental health
25. Minimum 2 years’ experience in WASH project design and implementation in emergencies
26. Experience of working with NGOs in insecure areas and working through partners.
27. Proven initiative in developing new programmes.
28. Practical construction skills and an interest in low cost and local materials and techniques.
29. Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
30. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
31. Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian ethics.
32. Experience in working with sphere standards in closed and open settings.
Ensuring the non disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business
of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority,
except in the normal execution of duty.
This position description is intended to be a guide and is not or cannot be construed as a full
account of what an employee is expected to perform in their job now or in the future. An
employee’s position may be changed, modified, or altered at any time and employees are
expected to assume new assignments enthusiastically and perform to the best of their abilities.