POSITION: PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR
LOCATION: Bay Mills Indian Community GRADE: 13/14 DOE
REPORTS TO: Tribal Chairman STATUS: Exempt
Under the general direction of the Tribal Chairman and/or designee, the employee is
responsible for the overall management of the following departments: Construction,
Utilities, Climate Control, Parks & Recreation, & Tribal Maintenance.
1. The Public Works Director must work closely with the Tribal Chairman/Executive
Council to manage these various governmental functions to ensure the maximum
productivity within the organizations budget limitations.
2. Implement communications programs in order to ensure on-going, positive up and
down communications between these functions. .
3. Establishes and maintains a professional, trained, and motivated staff through
effective implementation of performance and career-development programs.
4. Evaluates reports, decisions, and results of the various departments in relation to
established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect
continual improvements in efficiency and department services performed.
5. Reviews work of subordinates periodically for technical adequacy and conformance
to rules, policies, procedures and established goals.
6. Ensured most efficient use of services provided.
7. Oversees and assists the various departments with the development of an operational
budget and periodically reviews the expenditures with each department manager.
8. Creates a friendly work atmosphere and communicates an “OPEN DOOR” policy to
all employees to resolve employee disputes in a timely manner.
9. As a supervisor/manager, you must familiarize yourself with the Bay Mills Personnel
Policies and Procedures handbook so you can fairly and consistently apply those to all
10. It is the responsibility of the Public Works Director to meet with the
Chairman/Council on a regular basis for reporting the financial and administrative
conditions of the various operations in a clear, concise and accurate format.
11. Must attend all mandatory trainings designated through Human Resources
Department and/or Tribal Chairman.
12. Other duties may be assigned by the Tribal Chairman/Executive Council within the
scope and complexity of this position’s essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field required. Masters degree preferred.
2. Minimum of five (5) years’ senior management experience.
3. Must possess strong administrative, organizational, and communication skills.
4. Knowledge of computers, word processing, and other office equipment.
5. Must have extensive experience in planning and budgeting.
6. Experience and knowledge in building trades highly desired.
7. Must have the ability to plan, coordinate, and direct staff engaged in various
professional, technical, and administrative functions of the various departments.
8. Must have excellent employment history demonstrated though employer references.
9. Must have experience in grant writing and securing additional funding sources of the
10. Must possess a personable, customer service attitude along with organizational ability
to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
11. Must be dependable and flexible with work schedule.
12. Must have a strong financial background, with the ability to develop and implement
budgets and other financial reports or information.
13. Must have a valid driver’s license with an excellent driving record.
14. To perform this position successfully, and individual must be able to satisfactorily
perform each function listed under the essential functions and physical demands
categories of this position description.
PREFERENCE: Preference will be given to those of Native American descent.
CLOSING DATE: July 12, 2012 (4:30pm)
APPLY TO: Send Resume and job bid form to:
Heather Lyons or Shannon Belk; Recruiter
Bay Mills Human Resources Department
12124 W. Lakeshore Drive
Brimley, MI 49715