6 THE RENAISSANCE AND THE REFORMATION
UNIT 6: CONTRIBUTION TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF BASIC COMPETENCIES
Social competence and
– Guaranteed by the study of the contents of the unit as a whole.
– Be aware of the geographical context of the Reformation. (Page 86, The Spread…)
Knowledge of and interac-
– Describe important physical spaces of Renaissance life. (Page 88, A Renaissance Pa-
tion with the physical world
lace; Page 93, Château…)
– Understand the radical change of cultural and artistic thought brought about by hu-
Cultural and artistic compe-
manism and the Renaissance. (Page 84, Question a; Page 88, Questions a and b)
– Analyse Quattrocento and Cinquecento art. (Page 90, Look… and Question a)
– Understand and interpret information presented in different sources: maps, diagrams,
tables, paintings, etc. (Page 85, Discover…; Page 87, Act. 3; Page 88, Audio track 29;
Information handling and
Page 93, Audio track 30)
– Research information from different sources and then present it clearly and accurately.
(Page 84, Netsurfers; Page 85, Act. 3, Page 87, Act. 2)
Competence in linguistic – Use the specialist vocabulary of the unit both orally and in writing. (Page 86, Question
communication b; Page 87, Act. 1)
– Recognise geometrical shapes and the idea of perspective as applied in Renaissance
art. (Page 89, Look…)
Competence in learning to – Recall, relate and synthesize the material studied, and compare historical phenomena.
learn (Page 91, Question b; Pages 92 and 93, Questions a to c)
– Independently interpret the meaning behind works of art and defend one’s point of
Autonomy and personal view. (Page 84, The Ambassadors; Page 85, Act. 1)
initiative – Have the confidence to identify and correct incorrect information, as well as to defend
one’s personal opinions. (Page 85, Act. 2)
UNIT 6 SOCIAL COMPETENCE AND CITIZENSHIP
COMPETENCIES Student’s book Activities book Didactic Guide
Page: 84 Unit 6 Pages: 10 and 11
Know the importance of
Page: 85 Unit 6 Pages: 10 and 11
the printing press
Understand the causes
Page: 86 Unit 6 Pages: 12 and 13
of the Reformation
Explain the Counter-
Pages: 87 Unit 6 Pages: 12 and 13
Understand the ideas
Pages: 88 and 89 Unit 6 Pages: 14 and 15
behind the Renaissance
Analyse types of Re-
Pages: 90 and 91 Unit 6 Pages: 16 and 17
Be aware of the Renais-
Pages: 92 and 93 Unit 6 Pages: 18 and 19
sance across Europe
6-4 CLASSROOM PROGRAMMING
6 THE RENAISSANCE AND THE REFORMATION
– Understand the origins, features, and evolution of humanist thought.
DIDACTIC – Explain the importance of the invention of the Gutenberg press in the spread of hu-
OBJECTIVES manism, as well as the role of schools and universities.
– Understand the causes of Protestant ecclesiastical reforms.
– Explain the ideas on which Lutheran reforms were based.
– Differentiate between the various reform movements.
– Analyse the reaction of the Catholic Church and the process of Counter-Reformation.
– Recognise the ideas behind Renaissance art.
– Comment on typical Quattrocento and Cinquecento art works.
– Identify important Renaissance art works from Flanders, Germany, and France.
– Use the specialist vocabulary of the unit accurately and with confidence.
CONTENTS – Explanation of the Gutenberg printing press and its role in the spread of humanism.
– The Reformation.
– A map of the spread of the Reformation.
– Comparison of the doctrine, worship and organization of Catholicism, Calvinism, and
– Explanation of the Counter-Reformation and the Council of Trent.
– The Society of the Renaissance
– The concept of Renaissance art
– The Quattrocento.
– The Cinquecento.
– The spread of the Renaissance to Flanders, Germany and France.
– Observation and analysis of the Italian Renaissance.
– See whether they recognise the main features of humanist thought.
EVALUATION – See if they appreciate the importance of the printing press to the spread of humanism.
CRITERIA – Confirm that they can tell the difference between the main reformist doctrines: Luther-
anism, Calvinism and Anglicanism.
– Observe whether they understand the measures taken by the Catholic Church against
the spread of Protestantism.
– Check that they can explain the main ideas and principles of Renaissance art.
– Verify that they recognise the most important artists and art works of the Quattrocento
and the Cinquecento.
– Check they are able to describe the differences between the Italian Renaissance and
its manifestation in other European countries.
CLASSROOM PROGRAMMING 6-5